Derry City put a severe dent in Shamrock Rovers’ European ambitions in Tallaght Stadium on Saturday night as they won 3-1.

Derry were 2-0 up at half-time, thanks to goals from Stephen McLaughlin and a Rory Patterson penalty, they added a third a minute into the second half from Barry McNamee.

Thomas Stewart scored a consolation goal for Rovers in injury time.

Played out in front of a reasonable crowd, a crowd boosted by several hundred German football fans in Dublin for weekend, it was an entertaining game, but fans of the Hoops won’t be happy with the 3-1 defeat.

Derry City opened the scoring after just six minutes. Patterson got free on the left, getting by Pat Sullivan.

His cross found the head of McLaughlin who beat Oscar Jansson in the Shamrock Rovers goal from just outside the six-yard box.

Derry doubled their lead on the half-hour mark. Patterson latched onto a through ball and rounded Jansson.

There didn’t seem much contact from the Swedish goalkeeper, but Patterson went down as he was moving away from goal.

The assistant referee Mark Douglas signaled for a foul and a penalty. Jansson picked up a yellow card and Patterson dispatched the penalty for Derry into the back of the net off the right-hand post.

Rovers were caught cold after the half-time break as after just one minute of the second half they were 3-0 down. A superb through ball from his own half by McLaughlin played in McNamee and he took the ball on and drove it by Jansson for Derry’s third goal.

Patterson had a great chance to make it four with his shot going over the bar when facing Jansson.

Rovers had a couple of second-half headers, first from Twigg and the second from Kilduff, but Derry kept their clean sheet.

In injury time, Stewart pulled a goal back for the Hoops after a good run and shot low into the back of the Derry net with Gerard Doherty rooted to the spot.

Shamrock Rovers: Oscar Jansson; Pat Sullivan, Craig Sives, Ken Oman, Conor Powell; Billy Dennehy (Aaron Greene 55), Ronan Finn (Shane O’Connor 27), Stephen Rice, Sean Gannon; Ciaran Kilduff, Gary Twigg (Thomas Stewart 76).

Subs not used: Reyaad Pieterse, Graham Gartland, Gary O’Neill.

Booked: Ken Oman (27), Oscar Jansson (29).

Derry City: Gerard Doherty; Simon Madden, Shane McEleney, Stewart Greacen, Dermot McCaffrey; Barry Molloy (Ryan McBride 80), Rory Patterson (Conor Murphy 73), Mark Brolly (David McDaid 58), Barry McNamee, Ruaidhri Higgins, Stephen McLaughlin.

Subs not used: Eugene Ferry, Kevin Deery, Ryan Curran.

Bookings: None.

Referee: Paul McLaughlin.

Attendance: 1,800 (estimate).

Man-of-the-match: Rory Patterson.