Shelbourne and Bray Wanderers had to settle for a share of the spoils as they played out an entertaining 0-0 draw in Tolka Park.

Jason Byrne missed a glorious chance for Bray when firing wide from close range in the first half while Paddy Kavanagh forced Darren Quigley into two good saves in the second period.

Bray should have won the game with seven minutes left but Daire Doyle couldn’t convert from four-yards from Kieran Marty Waters' cross.

The opening ten minutes saw both sides try to keep the ball on the ground but neither were able to make the most of their possession.

Shelbourne almost forced an opening for Paul Byrne but Dave Webster was in the right place to make the clearance. They had an even better chance when Andy Boyle met the corner of David Cassidy but his header was cleared.

Bray should have taken when Dane Massey's cross from the right put Byrne through on goal but the striker fired his close range effort narrowly wide of the near post.

Shels began to come into the game and a superb passing move almost created the opening after 21 minutes. Glenn Cronin found Paul Byrne on the right who laid the ball off for Paddy Kavanagh to cross to the back post. Cronin had continued his run and he forced Darren Quigley into a good save to keep the game scoreless.

Shels continued to press in the second half but it was Bray and Byrne who almost capitalised on a defensive mistake from Brian Shortall and Chris Bennion, but the ball rolled narrowly wide.

Kavanagh then had two great chances for the opener. Firstly, he beat four defenders before forcing Quigley into a superb one handed save. A minute later he tested Quigley again with a 25-yard drive which the keeper collected on the second attempt.

A quick corner from Shels twenty minutes into the second half almost caught Bray out, but Kavanagh couldn’t get his strike on target at the near post.

Paul Byrne did find the back of the net for Shels with 20 minutes left but his effort was ruled our for offside. Kieran Marty Waters also tried his luck with a swerving 25-yard strike but it rose high over Bennion’s crossbar.

Bray should have grabbed the winner with seven minutes left. Danny O’Connor cross from the right where Marty Waters smashed the ball back across but Daire Doyle couldn’t get sufficient contact from four-yards.

Kavanagh had the last change of an action packed game but he powered over the ball in stoppage time.

Shelbourne: Chris Bennion; Brian Shortall, Andy Boyle, Ian Byrne, Sean Byrne; Paddy Kavanagh, Glenn Cronin, Kevin Dawson, David Cassidy, Barry Clancy (Conan Byrne 67); Paul Byrne (Philip Gorman 86).

Bray Wanderers: Darren Quigley; Dave Webster, Adam Mitchell, Danny O’Connor, Dane Massey; Dean Zambra, Sean Houston (Adam Hanlon 69), Kevin O’Connor, Kieran Marty Waters (Dean Marshall 89); John Mulroy (Daire Doyle 79), Jason Byrne.