Derry City lost their 12th Airtricity League Premier Division game of the season, this time after a terrible display in a 2-1 defeat to UCD.

The visitors took the lead ten minutes later after a super midfield run by Barry McCabe saw him race clear of the City defence before making no mistake from 12 yards, side-footing home past Gerard Doherty.

UCD doubled their lead 19 seconds into the second half when David McMillan broke clear before drilling the ball home.

The Students had a super chance to add a third goal virtually straight away when Paul O'Connor's header from four yards flew just over.

Derry pulled one back on 52 minutes when Marc Brolly's corner found an unmarked Kevin Deery and the substitute rose well before heading home through a ruck of players.

Soon after UCD had a great chance to increase their lead again when that man McMillan did well inside the City box, but this time his low shot was saved by Doherty.

Martin Russell's side came with a full-proof plan to get men behind the ball and hit City on the break and in truth they deserved to win a bigger margin.

As for Declan Devine, his side's hopes of having good end of season rest in their FAI Ford Cup semi-final clash against Shelbourne,

But worryingly for him, the tie takes place at the Brandywell - a venue where the home side have lost eight times this campaign.

Two minutes were on the clock when the Students missed a super chance to break the deadlock when poor defending by Shane McEleney ended with David McMillan firing high over the bar, with only City keeper Gerard Doherty to beat.

Soon after, a tremendous pass by McNamee found Brolly down the left. He cut inside past his marker before cutting the ball back to the penalty spot to David McDaid, but he failed to trouble UCD keeper Gerald Barron and blasted well wide.

On 28 minutes a super pass by Ruaidhri Higgins found Barry Molloy at the back post, but after the skipper cut inside into the box, his left footed shot was well off target.

Nine minutes from substitute Conor Murphy went close for the hosts but his long range drive, which had Barron beaten, whistled just over.

Derry City: Doherty, Molloy, Greacen, McEleney, McCaffrey; Morrison (Murphy, 51 mins), Higgins (Deery, h/t), McNamee; McDaid, Brolly (Duffy, 72), Farren.

UCD: Barron, Nangle, D O'Connor, Leahy, P O'Connor, Benson (Clarke, 88 mins), Douglas, Ledwith, McCabe, Clarke (Rusk, 88), McMillan (Mulhall, 83).

Referee: David McKeon (Dublin).