Cork City went into this game with good news of a new investor due to take over the club, and had further cause for celebration, with goals from Denis Behan and Lawrie Dudfield ensuring victory.

Local businessman Tom Coughlan is waiting before everything is in order with examiner Kieran McCarthy, before the deal is made official.

The property developer is to keep the club on a full time professional basis, with a wage structure likely to be put in place.

Cork, who had beaten UCD twice this season in the league, had to line out without the suspended duo of Joe Gamble and Pat Sullivan, against Pete Mahon's side, who had lost their last four league games and were three from bottom of the table before kick off.

Alan Matthew's side, who scored four against Dungannon Swifts in the Setanta Cup on Monday night, were quick off the mark, with two goals in the opening 17 minutes.

The first came when a corner kick from Darragh Ryan was headed goalwards by Cork captain Dan Murray, goalkeeper Matt Gregg saved the defender’s effort, but Dudfield was on hand to tap in from close range.

The Leesiders were two goals in front four minutes later. This time, goalscorer Dudfield was fouled in the penalty area by visiting full back Alan Mahon.

Referee Neil Doyle pointed to the spot, and Behan scored his seventh league goal of the season and eleventh in all competitions.

Cork went close to adding to that lead after the break. Liam Kearney went on a good run after the hour mark, and set up Behan, whose first time shot flew wide.

City introduced young substitutes Gareth Cambridge and Timmy Kiely, and defender Danny Murphy sent a fine pass into the path of Cambridge, whose attempted chip was touched away for a corner kick by goalkeeper Gregg.

It was a fifth defeat in a row for Pete Mahon's UCD, who are now in deep trouble at the foot of the table.

The nearest they came to a goal after the break was a long range effort from midfielder Shane Duggan, which flew just over Michael Devine's crossbar.

Cork City: Devine; Horgan, Murray, Danny Murphy, Woods; O'Connor, Darren Murphy, Kearney (Kiely, 68), Ryan; Dudfield (Cambridge, 72), Behan.

UCD: Gregg; Mahon, McNally, Kenna, Bermingham; Fitzgerald, King (Shortall, 80), Duggan (Bolger, 80), Meenan; McWalter, Purcell (D McMillan, 89).

Referee: Neil Doyle (Dublin).