Ryan Guy was the hero for St Patrick's Athletic with two goals as the Saints opened their campaign with a 3-1 victory in a game that was delayed due to a clash of colours, writes Mark Cummins.

Following the subsequent stand-off, the game finally kicked off at 8.20pm with Sligo sporting Pat's' navy second choice kit.

Having waited so long, the 2,000+ crowd were looking for some excitement but apart from a tame Rovers effort on five minutes, there was little to cheer for either set of supporters in a dull opening.

That Rovers chance came about when Fahrudin Kudozovic sent a half-cross/half-shot toward goal and Jamie McKenzie got a foot to it but the ball spun over the top.

There was nothing much to entertain until the 23rd minute when new Pat's signing Gary Dempsey struck a tremendous shot that was expertly saved by Sligo 'keeper Patrick Jennings.

The game sprang to life as Rovers took a dramatic lead on 25 minutes when McKenzie collected the ball just inside the box and fied home after good work by Conor O'Grady and Chris Butler.

Pat’s had a chance to get level on 29 minutes but Jennings made a superb save with his foot from Dempsey. Jennings enjoyed a good spell after that and made a save from a Keith Fahey header on 38 and a Gary O'Neill shot on 42.

Pat's came more into it in the second half and Bobby Ryan was yellow-carded on 56 for diving in the box.

Pat's pushed on and drew level on the hour mark when Jamie Harris, starting his second spell at the club, headed home from inside the box.

Mark Quigley very nearly put Pat's ahead just seconds later but narrowly failed to connect with O'Neill's ball.

But Pat's' US star Guy turned the game on its head with two dramatic goals on 65 and 67 minutes. The first, an opportunist header, was from inside the area, while the second was a cracker from just inside the box after former Pat's player Anto Murphy completely missed his clearance.

St Patrick’s Athletic: Ryan, Lynch, Partridge, O Cearuill, Harris, Dempsey, Ryan (Byrne 61), Fahey, Guy, O'Neill, (Brennan 90+1) Quigley (Kirby 86).

Sligo Rovers: Jennings, Cretaro, Butler, Almeida, McKenzie, O'Grady, Murphy (Curran 82), Moore (Judge 61), Boco, Kuduzovic, Doherty (Cash 66).

Referee: A Buttimer (Cork).