Limerick 37 are guaranteed a fourth place finish following an ill-tempered win over nine-man Shelbourne in their final home
game of the season at Jackman Park.

Goals from Lims captain Pat Purcell, and a disputed John Tierney penalty secured the points for the Shannonsiders.

Substitute Mark Rooney restored parity for the visitors in the 52nd minute.

Tierney missed a second penalty late on as Shels defenders Stuart Malcolm and James Chambers were both sent off. 

The visitors almost edged ahead in the 12th minute, Anthony Flood having a low left wing cross from Glen Lacey taken off his toe by Tommy Barrett just outside the six yard box.

At the other end, Shels 'keeper Tony O'Dowd had to race swiftly off his line to collect at the feet of John Tierney following a through ball from Padraig Moran.

Tierney appeared to have been taken down by O'Dowd inside the box after playing the ball around the Shels netminder in the 26th minute.

However, referee Hugo Whorskey waved all appeals aside.

O'Dowd did well to hold a 25-yard drive from Conor Molan, and Lims midfielder Ross Cosgrave hit the side netting from the edge of the box five minutes from the break.

Tommy Barrett then had a header cleared off the line by Shels defender Stuart Malcolm from a Kevin Waters corner, before Purcell got his head to Cosgrave's cross to edge his side in front one minute from the break.

Limerick almost extended their lead five minutes after the break, but O'Dowd dived low to his left to pull off a brilliant save from a stinging 20-yard Waters volley.

The visitors restored parity when Mark Rooney - a half-time substitution - drilled home on the half-volley from 20 yards
following an incisive through ball from Chambers in the 52nd minute.

But the lead was short lived, as eight minutes later Tierney picked himself up after being upended inside the box by Stuart Malcolm to slot home a controversial penalty.

Two Shels players, including O'Dowd, were shown yellow cards for dissent following the decision to award the spot kick.

Limerick were awarded another penalty in the 87th minute after Malcolm was sent off for clattering into Waters inside the box.

Chambers also received his marching orders for dissent following the same incident.

However, Tierney drilled his second conversion attempt wide of O'Dowd's left hand post.

Limerick 37: Ryan, White, Finucane, Barrett, Purcell, Cosgrave, Hayes, Molan, Tierney, Waters, Moran (McCarthy 76)

Shelbourne: O'Dowd, L'Strange (Reilly 73) McCullough,  Keely, Malcolm, Crawford, Chambers, O'Brien, Leech, Flood, Lacey (Rooney h/t)

Ref: Hugo Whorskey (Dublin)