Cobh Ramblers streched their unbeaten league run to 23 matches as they stay three points clear at the top after this draw at St Coleman's Park.

Shelbourne jumped in front when Anthony Flood headed home after 22 minutes, but the home side leveled from the penalty spot, with Davin O'Neill scoring his ninth goal of the season.

The visitors ended with ten men after sub Alan Rielly received a second yellow card on 81 minutes.

Ramblers welcomed back the club's two main srikers as both Davin O'Neill and Graham Cummins missed their previous scoreless draw with fellow title contenders Dundalk through suspension. 

Both clubs were without a fixture last weekend as they are out of the FAI Cup, but it was the visitors who started brightly with the lead goal coming exactly midway through the first half.

Glen Lacey sent in a good cross from the left wing and there was Anthony Flood jumping six yards out to glance a fine header past the diving James McCarthy.

Ramblers were level just after the half hour mark when they scored from the penalty spot. Midfielder John Kearny was brought down in the penalty area.

Referee Derek Tomney pointed to the spot, and Davin O'Neill sent Tony O'Dowd the wrong way with the penalty kick for his ninth league goal of the season.

This was the third league meeting between the sides this season, with Cobh having won 1-0 at home and the sides finishing level 2-2 in Tolka Park.

The table toppers came out very determied in the second half, captain Alan Carey centred after 50 minutes with Michael Mulconry's first time shot bringing a fine save from O'Dowd.

Cobh kept pushing for a winner Mulconry again going close with a curled effort, but the nearest Ramblers came to a winner was on the hour.

Kevin Murray sent a looping header which struck the underside of the crossbar and hit defender Mark McCulloch, before being cleared.

Shelbourne ended with ten men when substitute Alan Rielly was sent off by referee Derek Tomney, Rielly received two yellow cards in his ten minutes of action.

So Ramblers are three points ahead of Finn Harps who won in Kildare, with long time leaders Dundalk now backin third place.

COBH: McCarthy;Carey,Murray,Guthrie,Meade;Cambridge,
Substitutes; O'Shea for Meade 89 mins.

SHELBOURNE: O'Dowd;Murphy,Malcolm,Keely,McCulloch;
Subs; Rielly for Leech 72 and Collins for Rooney 82.

Referee: D Tomney (Dublin).