Super sub Paul Danagher drove home a dramatic late winner as Limerick claimed all three points following a five goal First Division thriller at Jackman Park.

With the game appearing destined to end in a stalemate Danagher drilled home from the edge of the box two minutes into injury time.

It was tough luck on Shels who played some delightful football particularly in the first half. 

But never-say-die Limerick - playing their fourth game in 14 days - refused to be beaten despite falling behind twice. 

Shels had the first real chance of note in the fifth minute but Mark Leech completely missed Glen Lacey's low cross from inside the box. 

At the other end Padraig Moran saw his well hit shot from eight yards out cannon off Niall O'Reilly following a low centre from John Tierney from the left. 

Fifteen minutes in Lims keeper Dave Ryan had to be alert to keep out Davitt Walsh's cheeky overhead volley. 

Walsh was clean through on goal minutes later but once again Ryan denied the Shels striker this time deflecting the ball to safety with his feet. 

The hosts should have taken the lead in the 21st minute but
debut boy John Tierney's weak shot from inside the area was comfortably saved by James Hussey. 

Shels did open the scoring in the 25th minute after Graham Curran's 25 yard shot took a wicked deflection off Paul Finnucane before looping into the top right hand corner of the net. 

Lims almost restored parity five minutes later, but Padraig Moran's drive was headed off the line by O'Reilly and Pat Purcell headed the resulting corner inches over the crossbar. 

Shels almost doubled their lead five minutes from the break, however, Ryan pulled off an excellent save from Walsh from six yards out and Glen Lacey drove the rebound into the post from an acute angle. 

Limerick were desperately unlucky not to restore parity after the interval when Moran's header from a Tierney flick-on came back off the crossbar. 

But the Blues were back on level terms in the 51st minute when Ross Cosgrave drove home a low free-kick from the left after Tierney was fouled just outside the box. 

Shels edged back in front midway through the half when Kieran Harte nodded home a Glen Lacey cross from the left. 

However, Lims were back on level terms again in the 77th minute after Kevin Waters swept home Cosgrave’s cross from the right. 

With both sides appearing content with a draw Danagher netted his dramatic
late winner to keep Paul Magee's side in the promotion hunt. 

Limerick 37: Ryan, Keady, Buckley, Finnucane, Purcell, Molan, Cosgrave, Wall, Tierney,(McCarthy 86) Waters, Moran (Danagher 78).

Shelbourne: Hussey, O'Reilly, McEniff, Rafferty (Byrne), Gartland, Curran (McGlynn 60) Chambers, Harte, Leech, Walsh, Lacey.

Referee: G Kelly (Cork)