Wexford Youths ended a two match losing sequence in the eircom League Division 1 thanks to a 1-1 draw with Shelbourne at Wexford Youths Complex.

Shelbourne seeking their first away victory of the season played the more controlled football through the opening forty-five minutes.

The came close to opening the scoring after twenty-two minutes but home Keeper Shane Dunphy kept out a Darren McKenna header. However the Shels dominance was beginning to pose problems for the homeside, and they should have taken the lead two minutes later, but right back and captain Alan Murphy saw his header from a Ciaran Ryan cross come back off the upright before been hacked away to safety.

Wexford Youths were creating little up front until a Paul Malone run and shot forced a fine save out of keeper Tony O'Dowd after twenty-seven minutes, while one minute before the break, Marty Kelly got his head to a Daryl Margolin flick on but directed his header straight at O'Dowd.

Shelbourne struck for the games opening goal on forty-five minutes. Alan Murphy gathered a loose ball some thirty-five metres from goal, powered in a tremendous right footed shot, which Dunphy got his hand to but could only deflect it onto the post on its way to the right hand corner of the net, leaving once mighty Shelbourne with a 1-0 interval lead.

The second half saw Wexford Youths come much more into the game. With Conor Sinnott and Marty Kelly making more of an impact in midfield they subjected Shelbourne to long spells of defending. After sixty-five minutes Tom Elmes had a shot blocked away, while five minutes later, Conor Sinnott floated a freekick across goal but there was no one there to knock it home.

Wexford Youths enjoying their best spell as Shelbourne sat back protecting their lead. However a wuick build up by Wexford Youths saw Marty Kelly play a ball into the path of sub Richie Fitzgerald whose low cross was deflected into the net by defender Aidan Collins after seventy-five minutes bringing the homeside level 1-1.

Having surrendered the initiative Shelbourne now pressed forward with more purpose with Davitt Walsh forcing a great save out of home keeper Dunphy on eighty-four minutes. Wexford Youths survived a late Shelbourne corner to gain a valuable point.