Man-of-the-match James Chambers helped Shelbourne earn a point against Monaghan United, as the home side turned in a battling second-half performance in this eircom League of Ireland First Division clash at Tolka Park.
Monaghan took the lead on 32 minutes when Peter D'Arcy took advantage of a poorly positioned wall to curl a 25-yard free kick past the outstretched Shels 'keeper James Hussey.
Following a disjointed first period, Shels fought hard after the interval and were rewarded when Chambers beautifully lobbed Alvin Rouse in the Monaghan goal after the 'keeper made a hash of a clearance.
Monaghan sub' Darren Meenan received a straight red in the dying minutes as the visitors survived a late onslaught.
The first real opportunity came Monaghan's way when Hussey failed to deal with a corner. When the ball dropped striker Willie Doyle was on hand but his goalbound shot was blocked.
Shels had a great chance 11 minutes later when Chambers and Niall O’Reilly linked well down the right. O'Reilly then picked out the unmarked Mark Leech, who scored the winner against Athlone Town last week, could not direct his header goalwards.
The Drumcondra side the fell behind when they were caught napping after Doyle was awarded a free when he was pushed in the back.
It was hard to distinguish if it was the wall or Hussey’s fault, but either way D’Arcy placed the ball perfectly in the bottom left hand corner to put the Ulster side in front.
Chambers should have levelled four minutes from the break but he headed wide from close range after he got on the end of a Glen Lacey corner.
Shelbourne manager Dermot Keely no doubt had a few harsh words for his charges during the break and they responded positively. Brian Gartland, who replaced Aidan Collins in the first half, and Chambers had headed chances soon after the interval as the hosts took the game to Mons.
They levelled the tie with 66 minutes gone. Rouse beat Shels substitute Kyle Moran to a through ball but the netminder, not for the first time on the night, miscued his kick and Chambers put the perfect weight on the ball to send it sailing into the net.
Ironically, the more potent Shels looked in attack the more vulnerable they were to being caught on the break.
The Monaghan defence denied Shels any clear-cut attempts on goal, even after they lost Meenan. The dismissed player caused a stir when he rather cheekily snuck back into the wall, but Shels captain pointed it out to referee Pauric Sutton who ensured the visitors played out the rest of the game with ten men.
Shelbourne: Hussey, O’Reilly, Murphy, Collins (Gartland, 30 mins), Brophy, Crawford, Chambers, Harte (Moran, 61), Leech, McKenna, Lacey.
Monaghan United: Rouse, Burke, Williamson, Whelan, Mooney (McDonald, 90 mins), Feeney, Finnegan (Heffernan, 69), D'Arcy, Farrell, Doyle (Meenan, 73), Gannon.

Referee: P Sutton.