/ Soccer

Ireland striker Kevin Doyle unhappy to be dropped for Ireland squad by text

Updated: Thursday, 21 Mar 2013 11:17 | Comments

Kevin Doyle found out he was no longer part of the Ireland squad via text message
Kevin Doyle found out he was no longer part of the Ireland squad via text message

Republic of Ireland striker Kevin Doyle has expressed his disappointment with being dropped from the Ireland squad and the manner in which it was handled.

Doyle, a virtual ever present in the Ireland squad for the last seven years, was named in an initial provisional squad for the crunch World Cup qualifier double header with Sweden and Austria.

However he was absent from the final 23-man group named on Saturday.

The Wolves striker revealed that he found out he had been dropped via text message and that he feels let down that he had not, at the very least, received a phone call.

"I was very disappointed to come in after the game to a text message saying I wasn’t to travel to Ireland to join up with the squad,” Doyle told his club’s website.

"I have been in every squad when I have been fit for seven-and-a-half years so it was disappointing. I thought I might get a phone call but it wasn’t to be and I haven’t spoken to the manager about it."

"Maybe he will speak to me about it in the future and for now I just have to get on with it."

Despite his omission from the squad, Doyle is determined to fight his way back into manager Giovanni Trapattoni’s plans and will continue to do all he can to play for his country.

"I’ve been in squads for seven-and-a-half years and certainly never took it for granted and have always found it a great pleasure and privilege to play for my country," he said.

"I feel I have always given 100 per cent in terms of showing the right attitude and dedication with Ireland in every training session and every match as I do here at Wolves."

“I will carry on doing that and hopefully get another opportunity to do that again in the future,” he added.

Assistant manager Marco Tardelli claimed that Doyle remains part of the Irish set-up and that he could earn a recall at some time in the future.

Tardelli said: "We love all the players who have given us many successes and all players deserve the same things. The boss can't call all the players.

"But for us, it's not finished, the time for Kevin Doyle. We know he is a good player and we know in the future, it is possible for him to come back."

Doyle is the latest in a string of Ireland internationals to raise question marks over the way players are treated by the Irish management.

Manager Trapattoni has had a recent spat with Stephen Kelly, questioning his desire to play for Ireland and sparking a war of words with the Reading defender who hit back in the strongest of terms.

Darron Gibson remains in a self-imposed international exile after falling out with the manager over his Euro 2012 selection policy, while Kevin Foley, Shane Long and James McClean have all had their issues with Trapattoni's man management.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use
Powered by NewsWhip