Steve McClaren's Middlesbrough were routed 4-0 by Sevilla in the final of the UEFA Cup tonight.

Boro produced two barely believable comebacks from three goals down to reach the final in Eindhoven.

But their amazing powers of recovery were nowhere to be seen in the PSV Stadion as the Spaniards dominated from start to finish.

There was no spirited fightback from Boro - only a tame surrender as Sevilla ran riot.

Brazilian Luis Fabiano put McClaren's team behind in the first half, West Brom reject Enzo Maresca added two after the break and former West Ham and Spurs striker Fredi Kanoute grabbed the fourth in the 89th minute.

Boro had come back to beat Basle in the quarter-finals when it looked impossible - and they did it again in the semis against Steaua Bucharest to win 4-3 on aggregate.

But there was no miracle in Holland and McClaren will not end his five-year reign as Boro boss with another trophy.

He brought the club the first piece of silverware in their history when he won the Carling Cup in 2004.

The next England would have loved to have added the UEFA Cup to his roll of honour but his team suffered a night of embarrassment.

Maybe it was the nerves of the club's first European final or the fatigue of their 64th game of the season on a hot night in Holland - but Boro allowed Sevilla to dominate the first half.

The Spaniards had a good beat to their play and put McClaren's team on the back-foot early on.

It was no surprise when Luis Fabiano broke the deadlock in the 26th minute.

Chris Riggott had made two vital interceptions early in the game but he was caught napping for the goal.

Full-back Daniel Alves swung a cross into the goalmouth from deep on the Sevilla right.

Luis Fabiano drifted away behind marker Riggott and met the centre with a powerful downward header.

Mark Schwarzer had no chance as the ball flashed into his net off the foot of the post.

Schwarzer was playing in a protective mask to shield his recently broken cheekbone.

Middlesbrough's only first-half effort of note was a free-kick from Fabio
Rochemback in the sixth minute, which was parried by goalkeeper Andres Palop.

McClaren sent on his UEFA Cup comeback specialist Massimo Maccarone in place of James Morrison and his team emerged with more purpose and attacking adventure.

Within six minutes, they had carved out a clear chance but Palop blocked Mark Viduka's half-volley with his legs after Riggott won a free-kick in the air.

Boro had to gamble and it sometimes left them stretched them at the back.

Kanoute, on as a half-time sub, and Adriano went close and Schwarzer made a save at his near-post from Jesus Navas.

Viduka drove wide from 20 yards and Boro appealed ambitiously for a penalty when the Australian went to ground under a hard challenge from Javi Navarro.

It was not given by German referee Herbert Fandel and Sevilla took a grip on the trophy in the 78th minute.

Maresca sprayed the ball wide to the right and Navas found Kanoute with his shot.

Schwarzer saved Kanoute's shot but could not hold it and the rebound rolled kindly into the path of the Italian, who buried it.

Maresca fired in his second goal four minutes from time, and Kanoute tapped in from close range for number four as Boro crumbled.