Cardiff boss Malky Mackay admits he expected to be sacked over the course of the weekend.
The Scot looked certain to lose his job after receiving an ultimatum from controversial Bluebirds' owner Vincent Tan to resign, or face the axe.
The demand came in an email sent to Mackay by Tan on Monday in which he listed his grievances with the former Watford boss.
Mackay said in a press conference today that he had been left "deeply upset" by the email.
Mackay has stated on several occasions he will not resign and his departure looked imminent after the weekend loss at Liverpool, until chairman Mehmet Dalman released a statement on Sunday saying the 42-year-old would be in charge for the "forseeable future" while he tries to repair the fractured relationship between manager and owner.
Mackay said: "I did feel I was going to lose my job on the weekend.
"The email deeply upset me.
"I declined to resign and expected to be sacked over the weekend.
"To give the fans a clap (at Anfield on Saturday) was something I wanted to do for the support they had given me."