/ Soccer

Chris Hughton bolsters Norwich squad

Updated: Thursday, 11 Jul 2013 11:18 | Comments

Norwich boss Chris Hughton completed a club-record move for Ricky van Wolfswinkel on 1 July
Norwich boss Chris Hughton completed a club-record move for Ricky van Wolfswinkel on 1 July

Manager Chris Hughton fully intends to continue to strengthen his Norwich squad after capturing Sweden international defender Martin Olsson from Blackburn - with FC Twente midfielder Leroy Fer the next in line to sign a contract at Carrow Road.

Olsson can also operate on the left side of midfield and will move to Norfolk on a four-year deal from the Championship club for an undisclosed fee once all of the relevant paperwork has been completed.

The 25-year-old has been a long-term target of Hughton, who has been on a summer spending spree following the club's record £8.5million capture of Dutch international Ricky van Wolfswinkel, while England Under-21 winger Nathan Redmond was last week purchased from Birmingham and defender Javier Garrido has signed permanently after a loan from Lazio.

Fer - who almost joined Everton in January - is likely to cost Norwich around £4million, and the 23-year-old was photographed at the club yesterday, where it is reported he has now had a medical as the formalities of a transfer are pushed through.

Hughton believes the squad is coming together nicely, with the group currently in Austria for a training camp ahead of a three-match tour to the west coast of the United States later this month.

"At this time it is about improving the squad that we have and Martin certainly does that," the Norwich manager said.

"We are delighted with the addition of Martin. He's been playing in England for seven years and is well acclimatised to the Premier League."

"He can also play anywhere on the left hand side so he brings us good flexibility in that sense, plus at 25 he's at an age where he has some experience and also some time to improve."

Norwich's interest in PSV Eindhoven's Sweden international Ola Toivonen is said to have cooled following indecision by the player after a formal offer was made, while Lokomotiv Moscow's £6million-rated Senegal striker Dame N'Doye remains another attacking target and Ajax defender Toby Alderweireld is also on Hughton's radar.

It was also confirmed yesterday Norwich had signed goalkeeper Carlo Nash on a free-transfer move after he was released by Stoke.

The 39-year-old will provide cover to England international John Ruddy, who had been a target for Chelsea, and Mark Bunn.

Norwich had needed back-up after Jed Steer left for Aston Villa and Declan Rudd was loaned out to Preston.

Hughton said: "It is now important to us to bring in a keeper of great experience and a player that is used to living life in the Premier League."

"The move also allows us to send Declan Rudd out on an extremely valuable season-long loan to Preston where he can get some first-team football under his belt."

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use
Live!
Powered by NewsWhip