/ Soccer

Gus Poyet to appeal on-air sacking

Updated: Monday, 24 Jun 2013 10:59 | Comments

Gus Poyet was sacked as Brighton manager while working as a TV pundit on BBC last night
Gus Poyet was sacked as Brighton manager while working as a TV pundit on BBC last night

Gus Poyet is set to launch an appeal against his dismissal as Brighton manager after he learned he had been sacked on live TV last night.

Brighton revealed Poyet's three-and-a-half-year tenure had been terminated following a decision by the npower Championship club's internal disciplinary panel into a, so far, unidentified matter.

The statement claimed the club had informed Poyet of the decision, however, the stunned boss refuted that live on air after learning the news while acting as a pundit on the BBC for the Confederations Cup.

Poyet said he had received no communication from the club and that he had only become aware of the decision after BBC staff handed him a copy of the Brighton statement while on set during the first half of the match between Spain and Nigeria.

"I think the BBC have a great story forever, because a manager getting information that he is being released from his employment by the BBC is quite surprising," he said.

"I have had no communication, no texts, no email. I didn't receive anything on my phone so it is all up to you and the timing.

"The only thing I'm concentrating on is the appeal. I will appeal because it's the right thing to do."

Those comments were made during the half-time break and when Poyet re-appeared on screen after the full-time whistle he revealed the club had subsequently made contact.

Brighton have remained tight-lipped over the reasons for the disciplinary action against Poyet and the Uruguayan himself declined the opportunity to shed any further light on the club's reasons for his dismissal.

Poyet's feud with the club has gathered pace since Brighton suffered play-off defeat to Crystal Palace last month.

The 45-year-old, assistant manager Mauricio Taricco and coach Charlie Oatway were subsequently told to stay away from the club in the wake of a disciplinary hearing, although Taricco's ban has since been lifted.

"I have had no communication, no texts, no email. I didn't receive anything on my phone" - Gus Poyet

Poyet said he had not expected yesterday's decision, which came after a disciplinary hearing had to be adjourned last week after he opted not to attend.

"Not really. Today there have been plenty of phone calls between the representatives," he said.

"Everybody and the viewers can take their own conclusion about the way I have been informed.

"(Are they) messing with my career? We'll see. I think it is too early to say. I'm looking forward to making sure we clear this."

Brighton now appear likely to appoint an interim manager - with the players due to report back for pre-season today - after admitting in their statement they would be forced to wait for the result of any Poyet appeal before moving on.

"Gus Poyet has been informed by Brighton & Hove Albion football club's internal disciplinary panel that his employment has been terminated with immediate effect," the club's statement read.

"This followed his suspension, an investigation, and a subsequent formal disciplinary process. In line with the club's own procedures, and UK employment law, Mr Poyet now has a right of appeal. As such, the club will make no further comment on this matter or recent LMA statements at this time.

"Given the close proximity of the new season, the club will, in conjunction with its board, now seek to appoint an interim manager pending the outcome of a possible appeal.

"The interim manager will oversee the initial weeks of pre-season preparation alongside the club's existing staff."

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use