/ Soccer

Andy Carroll pulls out of Ireland clash while considering permanent move to West Ham

Updated: Wednesday, 22 May 2013 10:48 | Comments

Andy Carroll will not face Ireland at Wembley
Andy Carroll will not face Ireland at Wembley

Andy Carroll, who is said to be considering a permanent transfer to West Ham, has been ruled out of England's friendlies against Republic of Ireland and Brazil due to a foot injury.

The English Football Association confirmed the striker's withdrawal in a statement last night, stating that no replacement is being called up by manager Roy Hodgson at the present time.

"Andy Carroll has been ruled out of the England squad for the upcoming internationals with Republic of Ireland and Brazil," said the FA statement.

"Carroll had been named in Roy Hodgson's squad that will take on Ireland at Wembley on Wednesday, May 29, and then travel to Rio to face Brazil on June 2, but has now been forced to withdraw through injury.

"No replacement will be made at this time."

The news of Carroll's withdrawal comes as a blow to Hodgson, who has already spoken glowingly about the player's end-of-season form at West Ham.

Meanwhile, West Ham are reported to have agreed a fee with Liverpool for Carroll, said to be £15million, and the final decision now lies with the 24-year-old.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use
Powered by NewsWhip