/ Soccer

Rodwell red card rescinded

Updated: Tuesday, 04 Oct 2011 13:17

Jack Rodwell (R) is free to play
Jack Rodwell (R) is free to play

Everton midfielder Jack Rodwell's appeal against his controversial red card in last weekend's Merseyside derby has been upheld and he will not serve a ban.

The 20-year-old was sent off by referee Martin Atkinson in the 23rd minute for a challenge on Luis Suarez which appeared neither dangerous nor reckless.

Everton lodged a claim for wrongful dismissal with the Football Association and the governing body's appeals panel have upheld that claim.

It means Rodwell's three-match suspension, which would have been imposed for an offence of serious foul play, has been withdrawn.

A statement from the Football Association said: "Everton's Jack Rodwell has had his claim for wrongful dismissal upheld.

"As a result, the three-match suspension handed to him has been withdrawn.

"Rodwell had originally received a red card for serious foul play in the Merseyside derby against Liverpool at Goodison Park on Saturday October 1."

Immediately after the match, which Everton lost 2-0, Toffees boss David Moyes expressed his amazement at Atkinson's decision.

"I thought it ruined the game. That wasn't down to a bad tackle," said the Scot.

"I would have been disappointed if it had been a free-kick. I don't think anyone in this world thought it was [a sending off]."

Live!
Powered by NewsWhip