/ Soccer

Dein questions Blues line in Cole row

Updated: Thursday, 14 Jun 2007 16:55

Ashley Cole has attempted to distance himself from the current controversy linking him with a move to Chelsea
Ashley Cole has attempted to distance himself from the current controversy linking him with a move to Chelsea

Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein believes there is a huge credibility gap between what Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon has told him and newspaper reports concerning an alleged illegal approach for Gunners full-back Ashley Cole.

Cole is reported to have met Kenyon, Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho and agent Pini Zahavi at a London hotel 10 days ago. Cole's agent Jonathan Barnett was also reported to have been present.

Arsenal are yet to make an official complaint to the Premier League regarding these allegations, but Dein is concerned about Chelsea's stance on the row.

"When the News of the World broke the story last week I spoke to Peter Kenyon, Pini Zahavi and Jonathan Barnett. They were all in denial," he told the News of the World.

"However, from the evidence I have seen so far there is a huge credibility gap."

The Premier League confirmed earlier today that they had received  further information  from the newspaper concerning these allegations and would be continuing discussions with both clubs over the coming week.

For his part, Cole insists he is committed to Arsenal.

The 24-year-old is currently in negotiations on a new contract with the Premiership champions and has two-and-a-half years to run on his existing deal.

Cole told the club's website: "I'm under contract here for another two years so I just want to get back to playing football and trying to win the league."