/ Soccer

Borussia Dortmund's Marco Reus ruled out of Zenit St Petersburg tie

Updated: Wednesday, 19 Mar 2014 11:49 | Comments

Marco Reus has missed  Dortmund's last two games
Marco Reus has missed Dortmund's last two games

Borussia Dortmund attacking midfielder Marco Reus has been ruled out of tonight's Champions League round of 16 second leg against Zenit St Petersburg due to a nagging muscle injury.

The 24-year-old, who was on target in their 4-2 first leg win in Russia last month, has not played in their last two league games, including their 2-1 defeat to Borussia Moenchengladbach on Saturday.

"Unfortunately he could not participate in team training today and will not be available for us," Dortmund coach Juergen Klopp told reporters.

Dortmund are favourites to take a place in Friday's quarter-final draw after winning in Russia.

They also seem to be getting a step ahead of themselves already with goalkeeper Roman Weidenfeller discussing who he would and would not like to meet in the last eight before the ball even rolls at the Westfalenstadion.

"It's a European competition and we could do without an all-German duel, for as long as it's possible," he said.

"I've never played against Barcelona before and that would be a huge challenge, to play at the Nou Camp. I would like that experience, although not necessarily in the quarter-finals.

"Olympiacos would be something. The last time we played in Piraeus, we didn't look very good so we definitely have something to put right there."

Dortmund first need to navigate successfully through the remaining 90 minutes of the tie, although few really expect the Russian side, who parted company with Luciano Spalletti last week and have appointed Andre Villas-Boas as their new coach from Thursday, to turn the tie around.

Zenit lost further ground at the top of the Russian Premier Liga at the weekend under the guidance of caretaker coach Sergey Semak, who will take his pew at the Westfalenstadion for the second and last time on Wednesday.

Former Porto, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur coach Villas-Boas will sign a two-year contract to replace him on Thursday, once Zenit's Champions League trip to Germany is over, but Nicolas Lombaerts says it is the players who now have to make the real change.

"If the coach is fired, the players should look at themselves," he said on the Russian club's official website.

"In the end, if he was fired, then we are one of the main causes. But we have to move on. We're playing for Zenit so we have to do everything to get back on top."

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use
Powered by NewsWhip