/ Soccer

Michel Platini appeals reduced six-year ban

Updated: Wednesday, 02 Mar 2016 13:11 | Comments

Michel Platini was given a reduced six-year ban from all football activity last week
Michel Platini was given a reduced six-year ban from all football activity last week

Michel Platini has taken his appeal against his ban from football to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

CAS announced on Wednesday morning that the Frenchman was challenging the suspension from football at a national and international level, which last week was reduced from eight years to six by FIFA's Appeal Committee.

Platini and Sepp Blatter were punished in December over a 2million Swiss francs [£1.3m] "disloyal payment" made to the Frenchman by the former FIFA president.

They were given eight-year suspensions which were reduced by two years in recognition of their services to the game, but both deny any wrongdoing and neither is satisfied by the appeal verdict.

Platini reacted to an "insulting" and "shameful" decision, by saying it was designed to prevent him from challenging for the FIFA presidency, but told L'Equipe last Thursday: "I'm not going to commit suicide."

"Michel Platini seeks to annul the decisions taken by the Adjudicatory Chamber of the FIFA Ethics Committee and by the FIFA Appeal Committee." - CAS statement

In a statement on Wednesday, CAS said: "Michel Platini has filed an appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport [CAS] against the decision issued by the FIFA Appeal Committee on 24 February 2016.

"In appealing to the CAS, Michel Platini seeks to annul the decisions taken by the Adjudicatory Chamber of the FIFA Ethics Committee and by the FIFA Appeal Committee which led to him being declared ineligible to take part in football-related activity at national and international level for six years.

"A CAS arbitration procedure is in progress. First, the parties will exchange written submissions and a panel of three arbitrators will be constituted.

"The Panel will then issue directions with respect to the holding of a hearing. Following the hearing, the Panel will deliberate and on a later date, it will issue a decision in the form of an Arbitral Award."

Platini's suspension ruled him out of the race to replace Blatter at the head of FIFA - a pursuit which was won by Gianni Infantino.

Speaking about Platini last week, Blatter told French radio station RTL: "For a certain time, I've seen that there is a kind of conspiracy at FIFA, firstly against Michel Platini, so that he doesn't become president of FIFA. I find this sad."

The acting president of the German Football Association, however, has called for Platini to resign from his position as UEFA president before this summer's European Championship.

"It would be wise of Platini if he were to consider doing UEFA a favour by stepping down of his own accord." - German FA President Rainer Rauball

Rainer Rauball has been in charge of German football's governing body since November 2015, alongside Rainer Koch, and believes it would be in the best interests of the tournament if Platini was to step aside.

With former UEFA general secretary Gianni Infantino elected president of FIFA over the weekend, UEFA is effectively lacking leadership and Rauball believes Platini should make way immediately rather than await the result of his CAS appeal.

"Currently UEFA has no leadership in its two most important positions," Rauball told Germany's Sport Bild magazine. "The former general secretary Infantino is now at FIFA and there is a European Championship coming up this summer and a lot has to be prepared and agreed on.

"In view of the European Championship, it would be wise of Platini if he were to consider doing UEFA a favour by stepping down of his own accord."

UEFA currently appears to be awaiting the outcome of Platini's appeal before taking the next steps, but Rauball says it is "necessary that we discuss alternatives in view of the [next UEFA] congress in May".

He added: "A distinction must be made between Platini's personal interests and UEFA's ability to function - it is a company with turnover in the billions. Mine is not a prejudgement."

UEFA's next congress is due to be held in Budapest on May 3 and, as things stand, it will be held without a president or a general secretary, and with no elections scheduled to fill those positions.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use