/ Soccer

Transfer news: Townsend set for Magpies move

Updated: Tuesday, 26 Jan 2016 21:40 | Comments

Andros Townsend is set to join Newcastle
Andros Townsend is set to join Newcastle

Tottenham winger Andros Townsend is on his way to Newcastle after the two clubs finally agreed a £12million deal.

After several rounds of talks this month, Magpies managing director Lee Charnley was able to deliver the news head coach Steve McClaren wanted to hear when a deal for a player he has targeted throughout January was struck on Tuesday morning.

It is understood Townsend, whose situation has also been monitored by Southampton, is keen to push through the move after slipping out of the reckoning at White Hart Lane following a difference of opinion with a member of Mauricio Pochettino's staff.

The 24-year-old will now head for Tyneside to undergo a medical and finalise personal terms, although no hitches are expected with his camp having indicated his readiness to rekindle his career at St James' Park.

Indeed, he has told friends once he was aware of the club's interest, the chance to head north was "impossible to turn down".

Sunderland are stepping up their interest in Swansea striker Andre Ayew as manager Sam Allardyce attempts to bolster his squad for the fight against relegation.

The Black Cats first registered their interest in the 26-year-old Ghana international earlier this month, but were swiftly rebuffed with the Swans insisting their summer signing was simply not for sale.

Sources on Wearside on Tuesday played down suggestions that the club has returned with an offer of £10m plus Italian striker Fabio Borini, although it is understood that there has been further contact and that their interest is firm and ongoing.

It remains to be seen whether or not the Welsh outfit is prepared to do business after all with new boss Francesco Guidolin, a compatriot of Borini, having presided over victory in his first game at Everton on Sunday to boost hopes of avoiding the drop.

Former Marseille man Ayew scored the decisive goal in that game, his eighth of the season, while Borini, who joined the Black Cats for a fee which could eventually rise to £10m from Liverpool last summer, has managed just two to date.

Just how a deal which involved the two crossing paths would go down in south Wales is a matter for some contention with Swansea having already sold midfielder Jonjo Shelvey to fellow relegation candidates Newcastle for £12m.

Allardyce has signalled his intention to bring in a defender and an attacking player during the remaining days of the transfer window having already signed Bayern Munich defender Jan Kirchhoff and Trabzonspor striker Dame N'Doye, and he was on the continent on Sunday looking at potential targets.

However, it is understood he has no interest in Stoke striker Peter Odemwingie amid suggestions that he could be on his way to the Stadium of Light.

Burnley have signed former England goalkeeper Paul Robinson on a deal until the end of the season.

The 36-year-old has been without a club since leaving Blackburn at the end of last term and has agreed a short-term contract with their Lancashire rivals.

Burnley are currently third in the Sky Bet Championship after Monday night's 4-1 victory over Derby but boss Sean Dyche was on the lookout for a new keeper with Matt Gilks out for several weeks with an elbow injury.

First-choice stopper Tom Heaton has made 29 appearances this season and is expected to retain his place for Saturday's FA Cup tie at Arsenal.

But Robinson, who has been capped 41 times by England, insists he is ready to be called upon if needed by the Clarets.

"I spoke to the manager and he's obviously got an injury to one of his goalkeepers, so this was too good an opportunity to turn down," he told the club's official website.

"I've been fit and training for the last couple of months, so it's just nice to join a fantastic football club.

"I'm just looking forward to getting training and using that experience. There are three very good goalkeepers here now and it would be nice to get some game time under my belt and be ready if called upon."

Roma have signed forward Stephan El Shaarawy on loan from AC Milan with an option for a permanent deal worth close to £10million.

The 23-year-old will be the replacement for Gervinho after the Ivory Coast international joined Chinese side Hebei Fortune earlier in the day.

Roma announced the El Shaarawy deal on their official website in a statement which read: "The Italian forward joins on a loan deal until 30 June 2016, for a fee of €1.4m.

"The agreement includes an option to make the deal permanent, for a fee of €13m, before the beginning of the 2016-17 season."

Having first come to prominence as a teenager with Genoa, El Shaarawy raised his profile with a move to Milan in 2011. He scored 21 goals in 83 appearances for the Rossoneri before spending the first half of this season on loan at Monaco, where he scored three times in 24 appearances.

He said: "I've joined Roma to show what I can do - to myself, the coach and the Italian game as a whole. I hope to repay the faith the club is showing in me and therefore I want to give 100 per cent when I play to try to achieve great things here."

El Shaarawy was immediately handed the number 22 shirt at Roma and will be tasked with replacing Gervinho.

The ex-Arsenal man had been linked with a switch to Jiangsu Suning but instead joined newly-promoted Hebei, who were only formed in 2010, in a deal reported to be worth around €18m.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use