/ Rugby

John Andress set for Munster move, Mark Chisholm stood down with concussion

Updated: Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 16:38 | Comments

John Andress will join Munster next season
John Andress will join Munster next season

Munster will boost their ranks this summer with the capture of Edinburgh prop John Andress and former academy lock Darren O'Shea, but Mark Chisholm's season is over after he was stood down with concussion.

Belfast man Andress, who has been capped for Ireland at U21 and A levels, moved to Scotland in 2014 but is now bound for Thomond Park.
 
He has made 48 appearances for Edinburgh since making his debut, coincidentally, away to the Irish province in September 2014.

"I've really valued my time here," said Andress. "My game has really improved through the coaching, we've a great group of players and backroom staff and I've no doubt the club will build on the momentum from this season and go on to do bigger and better things.

"I've obviously enjoyed my time at the club immensely and, being on 48 caps, it would be great to leave having achieved my 50th cap and be able to mark my time here in such a special way.”

Edinburgh head coach Alan Solomons paid tribute to the departing front-rower, praising his efforts in his time at 

"John is an experienced scrummaging tighthead, who has made a valuable contribution to the club over the past two seasons," he said.
 
"He is a good bloke, an excellent team man and a pleasure to coach. We wish him every success in his new venture."

Corkman O'Shea moved to Worcester Warriors at the start of the 2014/15 season after completing a year in the Greencore Munster Rugby Academy and has made 27 appearances for the English side, who were promoted to Premiership Rugby at the start of this season.

The 23-year-old lock is a product of the provincial age-grades and featured for Munster A in the British and Irish Cup.

Chisholm requires an extended break from the game after suffering a concussion against Newport-Gwent Dragons at Thomond Park earlier this month.

The Australian international forward will play no further part in the season.

Coach Anthony Foley told RTÉ Sport: "Mark obviously took a bad bang in the Dragons game. Further to medical advice he is taking extended leave to make sure everything is right.

"That’s the best way, that’s everything we need to do about that.

"It’s something that has a lot of profile at the moment but it gets very real when it’s one of your players. You tend to take a step back and understand the importance of it."

Munster Academy


 

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use
Live!
The Sunday Game Live