/ Rugby

Racing Metro offer Jonathan Sexton new four-year deal

Updated: Friday, 22 Aug 2014 09:56 | Comments

Johnny Sexton led racing Metro to the Top 14 semi-finals last season
Johnny Sexton led racing Metro to the Top 14 semi-finals last season

Leinster's chances of luring Ireland international outhalf Johnny Sexton back to Ireland may be fading after Racing Metro coach Laurent Labit revealed the French side had offered the 29-year-old a four-year contract extension.

Sexton left Leinster for Racing last summer and signed a reported two-year €700,000 per-annum deal with the Parisian side.

Labit suggested Sexton would either sign the extension or return home to Ireland at the end of the season.

"He is thinking it over, we have discussed it with him," said Labit. "In his hands he has a proposal for a further four years with Racing.

"The deal is simple - either he extends and finishes his career here or he returns to Ireland. This is what he has to think about. But we know him, he's okay with it.

"Of course, there are other elements involved. He has a child and he has to go away and discuss it with his wife. We hope he stays. Like he says, his son was born here and in 20 years he could be France's fly-half."

Earlier this week, Leinster coach Matt O'Connor admitted he would love to have Sexton, who won three European Cups with the Blues, back at the province.

“Of course you’d like him back. He’s a world-class player and he’s proven that across the course of his career," O'Connor said.

“We know that he’s off contract [at the end of the season]. Those conversations have been ongoing. He speaks regularly with a lot of the guys in our environment.

"We’ve still got good links with Johnny. We’d be very keen to have a conversation if he chooses to come back.”

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use