/ Racing

Frankie Dettori racing licence remains at impass

Updated: Wednesday, 22 May 2013 16:50 | Comments

Frankie Dettori's future remains unclear
Frankie Dettori's future remains unclear

Frankie Dettori's legal representative hopes the licensing committee of the British Horseracing Authority will reconvene in a bid to hasten the rider's return to action.

Solicitor Christopher Stewart-Moore has contacted the BHA with a view to the regulator revising its stance which has impacted upon the Italian jockey's protracted exile from the sport.

French racing authority France Galop banned Dettori for six months after he tested positive for cocaine at Longchamp last September.

The BHA said it is awaiting results of three additional tests taken from Dettori by France Galop's medical committee before the jockey can even be reconsidered for a licence.

Stewart-Moore said the three samples were taken at a time when he was an unlicensed individual, which should not have any influence in the BHA's decision to veto his return, which had been earmarked for an evening meeting at Leicester on Monday.

Stewart-Moore said: "I am awaiting a response from the BHA.

"I'm going to ask them to reconvene the licensing committee so they can hear the submission from us to see if Frankie can get his licence back.

"That might include us handing over the documentation to the tests which he has carried out.

"What we are are looking for is a further hearing with the licensing committee.

"The licensing committee has already decided he is fit and ready to race, and there should be nothing to stop him.

"Frankie is very willing to pay for, and subject himself to, further tests in the first six months of his return.

"The BHA thought the worldwide ban was subject to these three tests, taken at a time when he was unlicensed, that were being completed in France.

"All they have to do is satisfy themselves and again ask the question, 'Is this guy a fit and proper person?"'

The BHA reiterated in a statement on Wednesday that the issue hinges upon the findings from France Galop's medical committee.

"We have today again spoken to France Galop regarding Frankie Dettori," said the statement.

"They have confirmed to us that the issue sits with their medical committee, and that the specifics of the case have to remain confidential between the committee and Mr Dettori.

"They are unable to provide us with any further information at this stage."

France Galop said on Tuesday that the onus was on Dettori to contact them and that the issue was a "private matter" between the two parties.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use
Live!
Spórt an tSathairn
Ulster Bank League
Powered by NewsWhip