/ Racing

Dettori cleared to ride again by France Galop

Updated: Thursday, 30 May 2013 18:26 | Comments

Frankie Dettori
Frankie Dettori

Frankie Dettori is free to return to the saddle after the British Horseracing Authority confirmed it has reissued his licence.

France Galop banned Dettori, 42, for six months after he tested positive for cocaine at Longchamp last September, with his suspension reciprocated by the BHA.

The Italian had last week been due to make his comeback but was thwarted in his efforts after a test carried out by France Galop produced, according to the BHA, an "irregularity".

Dettori met with France Galop's medical committee on Tuesday to discuss a "private matter", the resolution of which means the rider can now return to action.

First Cornerstone is set to be Dettori's first Classic mount following the completion of his six-month suspension.

The colt's owners Team Valor have moved swiftly to secure Dettori's services for Sunday's Prix du Jockey Club at Chantilly after the rider finally gained clearance to return to the saddle from France Galop.

The French regulator gave Dettori the all-clear to resume on Thursday afternoon, meaning the 42-year-old was too late to secure a mount in either the Investec Oaks on Friday or Saturday's Investec Derby at Epsom.

Oliver said: "Frankie is going to ride the horse on Sunday.

"If we'd decided to go for the Epsom Derby, Chris Hayes would have been riding, but we had a chat about things once we'd decided to go to France and Chris was perfectly fine about it all.

"The French Derby is a race notorious for traffic problems, we thought we'd like a jockey with local knowledge and race knowledge and who better could you get than Frankie Dettori?

"He's a world-class jockey who has ridden all over the world. The owner came up with the idea (of booking Dettori) and hopefully it will all work out."

France Galop banned Dettori, 42, for six months after he tested positive for cocaine at Longchamp last September, with his suspension reciprocated by the BHA.

The Italian had last week been due to make his comeback but was thwarted in his efforts after a test carried out by France Galop produced, according to the BHA, an "irregularity".

Dettori met with France Galop's medical committee on Tuesday to discuss a "private matter", the resolution of which means the rider can now return to the saddle.

The authority tweeted: "The medical committee has decided to declare Mr Lanfranco Dettori fit to ride in France from 30th of May."

Dettori's French agent Herve Naggar confirmed that all recent tests had returned negative results and the Italian is looking forward to resuming his career.

"He is back in business," said Naggar.

"Everything has been received by the France Galop medical committee and they can now give him back his licence."

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use