/ Racing

Frankie Dettori waits on French verdict on his positive test for a banned substance

Updated: Tuesday, 20 Nov 2012 17:14 | Comments

It hasn't yet been confirmed what substance Frankie Dettori tested positive for
It hasn't yet been confirmed what substance Frankie Dettori tested positive for

A verdict on any suspension for Frankie Dettori after the jockey tested positive for a banned substance in France had not been disclosed by Tuesday afternoon.

The 41-year-old did not appear personally before the Medical Committee of the French racing authority, France Galop, in Paris, but did make his own representation via conference call.

The committee will make their findings known to France Galop and it is understood the stewards will meet in two weeks' time to discuss it.

Dettori's legal representative Christopher Stewart-Moore was at the hearing and confirmed that no decision has been announced yet.

In a statement released, he said: "A hearing of the Medical Committee of France Galop was held at 12.30pm (Paris time) today, at which Frankie Dettori and his legal advisers made representations.

"The Medical Committee will announce their decision shortly and we will then comment further on Frankie Dettori's behalf."

France Galop media relations manager Julien Pescatore has underlined the authority's policy of issuing no statement until the matter is resolved.

He said: "The medical committee have had their hearing. Mr Dettori was not in Paris but he was represented by Christopher Stewart-Moore.

"The medical committee will give their decision to the jockey and as long as he has not received it, France Galop will not communicate anything. If the medical commission want France Galop to communicate something for them later on, then we can do that, but that is up to them."

Stewart-Moore declined to name the substance involved when releasing a statement last week, but said it was "not a performance-enhancing drug".

It has been widely reported Dettori failed the test due to the presence of cocaine, but Pescatore said France Galop will not confirm the banned substance involved.

He added: "Also, I can tell you the substance will never be revealed by either the medical commission or France Galop. That is always the case."

Dettori had four rides at the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe trials meeting on September 16, after which the sample was returned.

He rode Joshua Tree to finish third in the Prix Foy, Sarah Lynx who trailed home last in the Prix Vermeille, then Farhh who was beaten a head in the Prix du Moulin and Willing Foe, another Godolphin charge, who came in third in the Prix Gladiateur.

Dettori made the headlines last month when his 18-year association with powerful owners Godolphin came to an end, with the three-time champion jockey planning to ride as a freelance in 2013.

The Italian is not the first to fall foul of the French authority, with Kieren Fallon being banned for six months by France Galop in 2006 after returning a positive test for a metabolite of a banned substance.

France Galop then banned him a further 18 months after a second positive test in August 2007.

Dettori himself was cautioned by police for possession of cocaine in 1993.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use
Live!
Powered by NewsWhip