Ross Brawn has ruled out a return to Formula One by announcing he has retired from motor sport.
The former Benetton and Ferrari technical chief, who was owner of the Brawn GP team and latterly team principal and co-owner of the Mercedes team, had been linked with a swift return to the sport.
The 59-year-old Englishman stepped down from Mercedes at the end of last season but had been reported as a possible target for McLaren.
According to the Daily Telegraph, Brawn declared his career in the sport was over when speaking at a fishing event in Aberdeenshire.
"What they didn't realise when I was invited here was they had a scoop because the world's press was trying to find out if I was retiring or not," Brawn said.
"This is the busiest time of the year for Formula One and I said I would come along and open the River Dee.
"If they had put two and two together they would have realised I was definitely retiring."
Brawn's career was closely intertwined with that of Michael Schumacher, the seven-time world champion who is presently being gradually brought out of a coma in a French hospital following a skiing crash that occurred on December 29.
Brawn and Schumacher worked alongside each other at Benetton, Ferrari and Mercedes.
"I'm retiring - it's not tongue in cheek," Brawn said, according to the Daily Telegraph website.
"I'm going to take a year to enjoy the fishing and then see what life brings. I'm looking forward to it but I've got no other plans."