/ Motorsport

Hamilton insists he is keeping focus

Updated: Monday, 17 Sep 2012 16:52

Lewis Hamilton has been linked with a move to Mercedes next year
Lewis Hamilton has been linked with a move to Mercedes next year

Lewis Hamilton has played down his uncertain future with McLaren and stated he is still "100% focused" on claiming his second Formula 1 title with the British team.

Hamilton, who is out of contract at the end of the season, has been linked with a switch to Mercedes for next season - a move that would take him away from the team he has represented for his entire six-year Formula One career.

The 27-year-old is currently second in the drivers' championship behind Ferrari's Fernando Alonso after the Briton won the ItalianGrand Prix earlier this month.

"We're all wise enough to understand that what is written is not necessarily true," Hamilton told the BBC about his rumoured move.

"The important thing is that I'm 100% focused on winning with this team.

"I don't have a timeline. My focus is on trying to win this world championship.

"Of course I do have to have those things sorted out but I do have people in the background working on those contract negotiations."

He concluded: "There's a lot of speculation, there's a lot of stories that aren't true."

Hamilton has also been victorious in Hungary while team-mate Jensen Button drove to a win at the Belgian Grand Prix in Spa.

The Stevenage-born driver believes McLaren are in their best shape in years to win the coveted drivers' championship and he is refusing to let himself get distracted from winning one of motor sport's most prestigious prizes.

Hamilton said: "We've worked so hard since 2009 to try and win this championship and hopefully, finally, we're in the position where we can."

So the most important thing is that I do not get distracted by all the rubbish that's been around.

"We're in a very, very strong position, we're getting stronger and we will get stronger through the rest of this year."

Live!
Powered by NewsWhip