Former world number one Tiger Woods will return to action in the Quicken Loans National, which benefits his foundation, on the PGA Tour next week.
Woods missed the year's first two major championships after undergoing back surgery on 31 March and has not played since the WGC-Cadillac Championship earlier that month.
The 38-year-old wrote on his Facebook page on Friday: "After a lot of therapy I have recovered well and will be supporting my foundation next week at the Quicken Loans National.
"I've just started to hit full shots but it's time to take the next step. I will be a bit rusty but I want to play myself back into competitive shape. Excited for the challenge ahead."
Woods had said on 19 May that his recovery was "slow and tedious" adding: "As of right now I can chip and putt but that's it."
But in response to a report on Tuesday that he had stepped up his practice regime, the 14-time major winner's agent Mark
Steinberg told the PGA Tour's website: "Tiger is making continual progress. He feels better each day and (is able to) extend his swing as he moves forward."
Barring any relapse, Woods will be able to contest the Open Championship from 17-20 July at Hoylake, where he won the last of his three Open titles in 2006.
Asked last month how long he would need to become competitive once given the all-clear by his doctors, Woods said: "I don't know, when I come back and start ramping it up, how far I am away from being explosive. Do I still have that capability of hitting the ball like that?
"Once I start feeling like that, I don't think it would take more than a couple of weeks to where I can get out there and feel like I can compete. The great thing (is) what I've done so far, and after all my previous surgeries, is worked on my short game. Once I start competing, if I start spraying it all over the lot, at least my short game's solid."