/ Golf

Rory McIlroy confirmed for Australia Open

Updated: Saturday, 17 Aug 2013 11:00 | Comments

It will mark the first time Rory McIlroy has taken part in the event since 2006
It will mark the first time Rory McIlroy has taken part in the event since 2006

Double major winner and world number three Rory McIlroy will tee off alongside US Masters champion Adam Scott at this year's Australian Open in Sydney, organisers said.

The 24-year-old Northern Irishman, who followed up his 2011 US Open triumph with a victory at last year's US PGA Championship, will return to play the tournament held at the Royal Sydney Golf Club from 28 November to 1 December after a seven-year absence.

It will mark the first time he has taken part in the event since 2006, when he finished in a tie for 59th competing as an amateur.

"I am very much looking forward to returning to Royal Sydney" - Rory McIlroy

The event, co-sanctioned by OneAsia and the PGA Tour of Australasia, will also witness a home appearance for Australia's world number four Scott, who became the first golfer from his country to triumph at Augusta National earlier this year.

"It's been a few years since I last competed in an Australian Open," McIlroy, who also played in the Australian Masters in 2007 in Melbourne and finished tied for 15th, said in a statement from the organisers.

"I am very much looking forward to returning to Royal Sydney."

Former world number one McIlroy, who has endured a patchy season, showed glimpses of a return to form at last week's US PGA Championship at Oak Hill, where he finished in a tie for eighth after flirting with a missed cut in his second round.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use
Live!
Powered by NewsWhip