/ Golf

Tiger Woods wants end to the war of words following comments made about him by Sergio Garcia

Updated: Thursday, 30 May 2013 10:00 | Comments

Tiger Woods is keen to move on after what he describes were hurtful remarks made by Garcia
Tiger Woods is keen to move on after what he describes were hurtful remarks made by Garcia

Tiger Woods expects the controversy surrounding Sergio Garcia's comments about the world number one to end, whether he speaks to the Spaniard or not.

Garcia was forced to apologise after last week's comments at the European Tour's annual awards ceremony where he said, "We will have him round every night. We will serve fried chicken."

Garcia escaped punishment for the remark, and, after speaking to Woods' agent Mark Steinberg, had said that he hopes to apologise to Woods in person at the US Open.

Woods had already tweeted last week that Garcia's comments "wasn't silly. It was wrong, hurtful and clearly inappropriate.

"I'm confident that there is real regret that the remark was made.

Woods remains keen to move on from the incident.

"That's already done with," he said during a press conference at the Memorial Tournament today.

Tournament host Jack Nicklaus is also frustrated by the story.

"The Sergio-Tiger thing, I mean it's stupid," he said. "I mean ... do guys have an issue with one another? They usually resolve it themselves.

"You guys want to resolve it in the newspapers today. Nobody needs that. And I think they both finally said it's enough. Let's move on."  

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use
Powered by NewsWhip