/ Golf

Ireland's Peter Lawrie qualifies for US Open

Updated: Monday, 28 May 2012 21:04 | Comments

Peter Lawrie's only previous major experience came at the 2005 Open
Peter Lawrie's only previous major experience came at the 2005 Open

Ireland’s Peter Lawrie will compete at the US Open after claiming one of 11 spot up for grabs at the Walton Heath qualifier for the event today.

Lawrie, who finished in the BMW PGA Championship at the weekend, emerged from a five-man play-off for four US Open berths alongside Italian Matteo Manassero, England's Matthew Baldwin and Frenchman Raphael Jacquelin.

Manassero and Baldwin birdied the first play-off hole to go through, while Jacquelin and Lawrie advanced qualified on the second after Korean Sihwan Kim bogeyed.

Joint winners on nine under were Swede Alexander Noren, who defends the Wales Open at Celtic Manor later this week, and Scot Marc Warren, who finally makes it into a major championship after nine attempts to qualify for The Open and three for the US Open.

"I wasn't sure whether I was going to play today," said the 31-year-old, "but the people around me told me to give it a rip and see what happens."

He needed something special after an opening 70 on the Old Course, but produced it with a seven under 65 on the shorter New.

Joint third on seven under were England's Lee Slattery, Dame Soren Kjeldsen, South African George Coetzee, Finn Mikko Ilonen and France's Gregory Bourdy.

Whether Colin Montgomerie plays another major remains in doubt after an amazing 900-mile overnight drive failed to pay off.

Disgusted by a closing 81 at Wentworth the former Ryder Cup captain went all the way home to Perthshire to fetch a putter.

He then turned round and headed back to Surrey, but his US Open bid ended in disappointment after a promising start.

"Who in their right mind would do that? But yes, I did," Montgomerie said. "I left Wentworth at 2pm, was home at 8pm, had tea with the family, left at 11pm and got here just after 6am."

An opening four under par 68 put the 48-year-old Scot on course to play in San Francisco next month, but he followed it up with only a 72.

Last year was the first time since 1989 that Montgomerie did not appear in any of the four majors, but he will keep on trying. He is entered for the Open qualifier at Sunningdale on 25 June.

Montgomerie missed out on a play-off by two strokes, so could look back on his pitch to the 17th hitting the flagstick and rebounding 15 feet away, then lipping out from the same distance on the last.

Current Ryder Cup captain Jose Maria Olazabal also failed, in his case by three shots after rounds of 67 and 74.

"It's just a shame - I played really well this morning and gave myself a chance," he said.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use
Powered by NewsWhip