Dublin 0-18 Wexford 1-20

Updated: Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 10:31 | Comments

Aidan Nolan and the Wexford players celebrate with the cup after the game Wexford led all the way in Parnell Park
Aidan Nolan and the Wexford players celebrate with the cup after the game Wexford led all the way in Parnell Park

Jack Guiney fired eight points as Wexford captured back-to-back Bord Gais Energy Leinster Under 21 Hurling titles, with a 1-20 to 0-18 win over Dublin at Parnell Park on Wednesday.

Wexford, who led throughout, registered their 16th Provincial title, with four Guiney points helping them to a 0-12 to 0-08 interval lead.

Man of the Match Conor McDonald snatched the only goal of the game to hand Wexford a 1-15 to 0-13 advantage after 45 minutes.

Paul Winters (0-09) tried hard to keep Dublin in touch, but Guiney was clinical for the visitors, as Wexford claimed a two-in-a-row for the first time since 2001-2002.

Ahead of throw-in, both managers stuck with the sides named midweek with senior players Guiney and McDonald featuring among the Wexford line-up.

On an ideal evening for hurling, aided by a slight breeze, Wexford
began in determined fashion and opened the scoring through a well struck effort by McDonald.

The Slaneysiders moved 0-03 to 0-00 ahead after four minutes, thanks to scores from Aidan Nolan and Padraig Foley. 

Winters opened Dublin's account soon after, but the hosts were always playing catch-up.

Operating a one-man full-forward line, with a lack of ball and against a stiff breeze, tactics began to back-fire on the Metropolitans early on.

Wexford moved 0-06 to 0-02 ahead after 14 minutes following a Guiney score and although Winters kept the Dubs in in touch, they struggled in key sectors, with the victors punishing them upfront from dead balls.

Rhys Clarke was one of the influential figures for Wexford, but Oisin O'Rorke certainly put a stamp on this game for Dublin.

O'Rorke was marked by no fewer than three Wexford players during the opening half, with Declan Byrne initially taken off him and Andrew Kenny handed a man-marking job.

However, Kenny found it hard to cope with O'Rorke's speed and by the interval Eoin Conroy became the third player to be handed the task of marshalling the Kilmacud Crokes clubman.

Wexford led by four points at the break, but with the wind against them it looked like was going to be tough on the restart. However, they resumed in determined mood.

Dublin Poc Fada champion Conor Dooley was called into the action early on, to deny Clarke of the game's opening goal, after the Faythe Harriers clubman sent a blistering shot towards the goalmouth after just 14 seconds.

His effort was deflected out for a 65 metre free which Guiney converted for his fifth point. 

This score was quickly cancelled out by a Winters free to ensure a 0-13 to 0-09 scoreline after 32 minutes. 

Six minutes later Dublin managed to cut the gap to two points, following scores from Winters and Dooley, with the latter registering a superb point, with a strike shy of 40 metres out for his own goalmouth.

Gary Moore edged Wexford back into a three-point lead, and although Winters and Glenn Whelan both cut the gap to two points inside the following six minutes, disaster struck for Dublin as the third quarter came to a close.

McDonald showed his brilliance to rifle the ball past Dooley, with a
powerful strike from the tightest of angles to hand Wexford a 1-15 to 0-13 lead.

Indeed the Slaneysiders could have raised a second green flag inside a minute, with Kevin Foley pressing hard, but this time Dooley was alert to clear the ball away.

However, Aidan Nolan pounced to send over his sides 16th point and hand them a six-point lead after 46 minutes.

Conroy and Guiney traded scores, and although Colm Cronin had a goal chance for Dublin, Wexford stood firm at the back with Kenny performing strongly.

Guiney sent over his eighth point with nine minutes remaining, to ensure a 1-19 to 0-14 lead, but Dublin never gave up.

Indeed the hosts outscored their opponents by four points to one over the remainder of the game, but they continued to rely heavily on the contribution of Winters from placed balls.

Wexford's only score during this spell came from Peter Sutton, as the Oulart the Ballagh clubman popped the ball between the posts within 30 seconds of his introduction.

Dublin finished with the last two points as Winters and Whelan claimed scores, but Wexford were well on their way to securing another Leinster title at this stage, and with it an All-Ireland semi-final date with Galway next month.

WEXFORD: O O'Leary; D Byrne, L Ryan, E Conroy; A Kenny, S O'Gorman, J O'Connor; A Nolan (0-04), C Devitt; J Guiney (0-08, 0-05f), G Moore (0-01), P Foley (0-01); R Clarke (0-02), C McDonald (1-03), K Foley.

Subs: J White for Byrne (20); R Tubrid for Ryan (Blood 53-54); P
Sutton (0-01) for Foley (56); T French for Devitt (61).

DUBLIN: C Dooley (0-01, 0-01f); M McCaffrey, C O'Callaghan, S
McClelland; E O'Donnell, C Crummey, C Robinson; D Gormley, C Boland (0-01); A Clabby, C Cronin, G Whelan (0-02); P Winters (0-09, 0-06f, 0-01 65'), O O'Rorke (0-02), C Conway (0-03).

Subs: Cian MacGabhann for Robinson (HT); F McGibb for Clabby (34); M Cavanagh for Gormley (49); A Jameson for O'Donnell (63).

Referee: David Hughes (Carlow) 

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use