Dublin 1-09 Kilkenny 0-24

Updated: Thursday, 07 Aug 2014 17:40 | Comments

Dublin's Stephen Hiney challenges Colin Fennelly of Kilkenny Dublin's Walter Walsh and Paul Schutte of Kilkenny battle for the ball
Dublin's Stephen Hiney challenges Colin Fennelly of Kilkenny Dublin's Walter Walsh and Paul Schutte of Kilkenny battle for the ball


Kilkenny secured their 69th Leinster SHC title with a dominant display in a 0-24 to 1-9 win over defending champions Dublin at Croke Park.

It had been three years since Kilkenny's last provincial victory and they tore into this decider like a side desperate to right that record.

TJ Reid was the tormentor in chief once more as his 10 points – eight arrived from placed balls – kept Kilkenny in control throughout, while Colm Cronin's 22nd-minute goal only served to briefly peg back the Cats.

Henry Shefflin was introduced during the final quarter and fired a quick three points to underline Kilkenny's dominance, but a lethargic Dublin looked out of sorts as the Cats cruised to the win.

Despite trailing by 0-13 to 1-6 at the interval, Dublin lost touch to the record winners in the second half, only hitting three points in the second period as they failed to find the target for the last 22 minutes.

Just five points separated the sides after a point from substitute Paul Ryan and a super save from David Herrity straight afterwards proved crucial as it halted the Dublin comeback.

Kilkenny went on to hit the last seven points of the game to clinch what was a comfortable victory in a contest where they never had to hit top gear.

Early on, it looked as if Dublin had the measure of their opponents for the second year in a row.

The Cats opened out a two-point lead by the sixth minute and two minutes later Conal Keaney got the Dubs off the mark when he chose to take a point from a penalty after David O'Callaghan was felled.

Alan McCrabbe levelled soon after but, crucially, Kilkenny went on to hit four consecutive white flags, three of which came from Reid.

Cronin's 22nd minute goal cut their lead to a point, but by half-time that lead was back out to four points as Reid continued to clip over frees.

After the interval, Padraig Walsh followed Colin Fennelly's point with a rapid-fire brace of scores within a minute, but after Daly made some changes for the Metropolitans, points from McCrabbe and Conor McCormack saw his side recover.

But in the run-in to the final whistle Kilkenny showed their class and after Shefflin's introduction 12 minutes from time they made easy work of easing into an All-Ireland semi-final.

Kilkenny: D Herity; P Murphy, JJ Delaney, J Tyrrell; J Holden, B Hogan (0-01), C Buckley; R Hogan (0-02, 0-01f), C Fogarty; P Walsh (0-02), C Fennelly (0-03), TJ Reid (0-10, 0-04f, 0-04'65); W Walsh (0-01), E Larkin, J Power (0-01).

Subs used: H Shefflin (0-03) for W Walsh (56 mins), A Fogarty (0-01) for J Power (59), L Ryan for C Fogarty (69).

Dublin: A Nolan; S Durkin, P Kelly, P Schutte; S Hiney, L Rushe, M Carton; J Boland, J McCaffrey; R O'Dwyer, D O'Callaghan (0-01), D Sutcliffe (0-01); C Cronin (1-01), A McCrabbe (0-03, 0-03f), C Keaney (0-01, 0-01 pen).

Subs used: C McCormack (0-01) for O'Dwyer (29 mins), P Ryan (0-01) for Sutcliffe (41), N McMorrow for Boland (41), D Treacy for Keaney (50), N Corcoran for Schutte (61),

Referee: Barry Kelly (Westmeath)

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use