Cork manager Jimmy Barry-Murphy says that he accepts the clarification of the hurling rules, despite the consequences for his goalkeeper Anthony Nash's penalty and free-taking style.
Nash had successfully pioneered a type of penalty/20-metre free which involved lifting the ball forward several metres before striking, but the GAA have moved to tighten the rules after referees interpreted the ball as being in play once it had been lifted - meaning the free-taker could be charged down.
The GAA's clarification states that defending players must remain on the goal-line until the ball has been lifted and then struck, but that the attacking player must strike the ball on or before the 20m line.
"It has been a bit of a lottery the last few weeks and I'm glad it has been sorted out, one way or another." - Jimmy Barry-Murphy
"It has been a bit of a lottery the last few weeks and I'm glad it has been sorted out, one way or another," Barry-Murphy told RTÉ Sport.
"You get tired of talking about it even.
“From what I understand now, the ball can’t be struck inside the 20 and if Anthony or any other player wants to throw the ball forward, then he has to take a few steps back from the line.
“That’s the rule, we’ll abide by the rule and I have no problem with it.
“There’s been a lot of controversy over it, a lot of talk about it, and if headquarters feel that they’ve got to make a change, I’ve no problem with that."
Not everyone was as accepting of the new situation however, with former Cork hurler Diarmuid O'Sullivan and Limerick star Seanie Tobin warning that it will encourage defenders to foul.
Totally disagree with new penalty rules, teams will foul for penalties in goal scoring situations as the chance of scoring will be lesser..— Seánie Tobin (@Tellytobin) June 10, 2014