Christy Ring round-up: Kildare and Mayo advance

Updated: Saturday, 24 May 2014 16:38 | Comments

Mayo's hurlers saw off the challenge of Wicklow
Mayo's hurlers saw off the challenge of Wicklow

Kildare and Mayo advanced to next Saturday's Christy Ring Cup semi-finals after the Lilywhites beat Derry 2-15 to 0-10 and Mayo recorded a 1-15 to 0-14 win over Wicklow.

Kildare led throughout their clash with Derry at Owenbeg, with goals from half-forwards Bernard Deay and Ross Kelly in either half, as they booked a last-four encounter against Meath next weekend.

The visitors were totally in command throughout the opening half and led by 1-09 to 0-03 at the break.

All three of Derry’s first-half scores came from Ruairi Convery frees, including one from 80 metres.

The only goal of the opening half came at the end of the first quarter, half-forward Deay moving Kildare into a 1-04 to 0-01 lead.

Brian Lawlor's charges failed to ease up and outscored Derry by five points to two before the interval.

Derry worked hard to cut the gap on the restart, with Convery and Paddy McCluskey scores ensuring a 1-11 to 0-07 score-line entering the final quarter.

But Kildare kicked on with Kelly netting their second goal eight minutes from the end to open up a 10-point lead.

Mayo, meanwhile, delivered a strong second-half performance, to record a four-point win over Wicklow in Arklow.

The sides were level on three occasions inside the opening quarter at a wet Pearse Park, but Wicklow led by 0-08 to 0-06 at half-time, thanks to the good work of Mikey Lee, Andy O'Brien and Christy Moorehouse.

Mayo worked hard on the turnaround, and moved ahead inside nine minutes of the restart, thanks to a Brian Hunt goal.

The Ballyhaunis clubman's strike ensured a 1-07 to 0-09 lead for the visitors.

Wicklow levelled the contest for the fifth time, thanks to a sixth Lee point, but Mayo moved 1-10 to 0-10 ahead with 20 minutes remaining, following a Stephen Hoban score.

Lee kept the Garden County in touch with a well-worked score, but points from Hoban and Feeney ensured a 1-12 to 0-11 lead in the 58th minute.

Mayo continued to finish strongly, outscoring Wicklow by 0-03 to 0-01 in a seven-minute spell.

However, Wicklow never gave up and scores from Moorehouse and Lee ensured a 1-15 to 0-14 score-line, with three minutes remaining.

But time ran out for Casey O'Brien's side as Mayo advanced to a semi-final against Kerry.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use