Allianz HL: Division 2A round-up

Updated: Monday, 10 Mar 2014 12:51 | Comments

Kerry stay on top Division 2A by virtue of scoring difference
Kerry stay on top Division 2A by virtue of scoring difference

Kerry and Carlow continued their unbeaten starts to Division 2A of the Allianz Hurling League, while London worked hard to claim a home win over Kildare in Ruislip.

Kerry stay on top Division 2A by virtue of scoring difference after claiming a hard-earned 3-13 to 2-15 win over Westmeath at Cusack Park, Mullingar.

It was a late goal from substitute Padraig O'Connor which secured a dramatic one-point win for the visitors.

Kerry started well early on with a brace of Mickey Boyle points, but Westmeath drew level thanks to scores from Alan McGrath and Derek McNicholas.

Westmeath led by 1-08 to 0-07 at the break, finishing the half with five unanswered scores.

Both sides had periods of dominance on the restart, but O'Connor certainly made his mark, firing 2-02 in the second half.

O'Connor's second goal on the stroke of the 70th minute handed Kerry a one-point lead, but Westmeath had two late chances of an equaliser.

McNicholas blazed a goal shot wide, and although he won a free from the resulting puck-out 35 metres from the Kerry goal-mouth, he failed to capitalise as the visitors held out for victory.

Derry failed to claim back-to-back wins as Carlow always looked in control in their 2-20 to 0-12 home win at Dr Cullen Park.

John Meyler's charges led by 1-11 to 0-06 at half-time, with Mark Brennan netting their goal after just four minutes.

The hosts failed to yield in the second half, and continued to stay on top, with a 45th-minute goal from Sean Murphy (1-05) laying the platform for a 14-point win.

London staged a magnificent second-half turnaround to deliver a 1-21 to 0-18 win over Kildare at Ruislip.

Despite a long trip, the visitors failed to show any signs of jet-lag early on and held a 0-13 to 0-09 interval lead.

Kildare continued to edge the lead by 0-16 to 0-15 entering the final quarter, but could only manage two further points as the Exiles finished strongly.

London’s only goal arrived in the 58th minute to hand then a 1-15 to 0-17 lead, and they stayed ahead until the finish to register a hard-earned six-point win.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use