Cork IT 0-12 Waterford IT 0-17

Updated: Sunday, 02 Mar 2014 12:38 | Comments

Pauric Mahony, in action here for Waterford, was instrumental in Waterford IT's win
Pauric Mahony, in action here for Waterford, was instrumental in Waterford IT's win

Waterford IT won their ninth Fitzgibbon Cup title with a 0-17 to 0-12 win over Cork IT at the Dub in Belfast.

Pauric Mahony and Jake Dillon led the charge with a combined total of seven points as Cork were denied a first triumph.

Mahony and Cathal Kenny nailed three points each to help WIT to a 0-10 to 0-7 interval lead, with John O’Dwyer hitting four Cork scores.

Mark Ellis brought CIT level, but Waterford finished strongly, with Kehoe and Dillon hitting the late scores that sealed the title.

Waterford brought an urgency and an energy to their early challenge that their opponents could not match.

They were four points ahead by the seventh minute, with Mahony converting a couple of frees, and Dillon and Eoin Murphy also hitting the target from play.

John O’Dwyer nailed Cork’s opening score from a 12th-minute free, but Waterford, with Cathal Kenny a dominant figure around midfield, continued to dictate the pace of the game.

Kenny slotted over a point, but CIT responded with a Conor Hammersley score, followed by an excellent Bill Cooper effort to narrow the gap to two.

Liam McGrath had just restored the four-point gap with a point squeezed over from an acute angle, when Cork enjoyed their moist productive spell of the game, O’Dwyer adding two more to his tally, and Cooper nailing his second to narrow the gap to ta single point.

But Colm Bonnar’s side finished the half strongly, Kenny powering over his third score of the afternoon, before Jake Dillon made it 0-10 to 0-7 at the break.

Cork produced another flourish early in the second half, with Hammersley and O’Dwyer trimming back the deficit to a single point.

And it was Mark Ellis who pushed forward from the back to bring them level in the 38th minute.

Waterford needed some solid defending from Pauric Gahan and Jerome Maher to prevent further damage, and went back in front on the breakaway through Harry Kehoe.

And the value of a reliable free-taker was underlined when Mahony drilled over a huge effort.

But Cork displayed tenacity and doggedness to fight for every ball, and were rewarded with two John Cronin scores, and trailed by just a point going into the final quarter.

The first goal chance of the game fell to Cork’s David Dooley, but from a difficult angle, he fired his shot into the side netting.

A relieved WIT side turned up the tempo once again, and two Kehoe points in quick succession, along with another Dillon point, had them ahead by 0-17 to 0-12 going into the final five minutes, a scoreline they were then able to protect.

CIT: S Nyhan; S Murphy, A Dennehy, T Lawrence; M Ellis (0-01), E Keane, P Butler; W Murphy, B Cooper (0-02); J O’Dwyer (0-05, 4f), J Cronin (0-02), C Hammersley (0-02); D Dooley, D Drake, J Coughlan.  

Substitutes: K O’Connor for Coughlan (22), K Hallisey for Drake (37), D Corbett for W Murphy (44), A Kenny for O’Dwyer (52), D Lonegan for Corbett (55), S Murray for Cooper (57)

WIT:  S O'Keefe; G Teehan, P Gahan, J Maher; T Hamill, J O'Dwyer, J Langton; S Roche, C Kenny (0-03); H Kehoe (0-03), P Mahony (0-04, 4f), E Murphy (0-01); L McGrath (0-01), J Dillon (0-04), G O'Brien.

Substitute: J Hayes (0-01) for L McGrath (46)

Referee: J McGrath (Westmeath)

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use