Galway 0-28 Dublin 1-12

Updated: Sunday, 16 Feb 2014 21:25 | Comments

Niall Healy of Galway and Simon Timlin of Dublin
Niall Healy of Galway and Simon Timlin of Dublin


Galway cruised to a convincing 0-28 to 1-12 Allianz HL Division 1A win over Dublin at Pearse Stadium.

The Tribesmen delivered a purposeful first-half performance with Cathal Mannion, who hit four sweet points, and Jonathan Glynn effective up front.

By the time the interval rolled around Galway led by 0-16 to 0-06.

Dublin had Conal Keaney sent off for a second yellow card in the 42nd minute, as Galway remained in control.

Substitute Sean McGrath poked a 59th-minute goal for Dublin, but Galway easily closed out the game with Jason Flynn and Niall Healy prominent.

Keen to move the sliotar quickly, Galway were bright and busy in the opening period as Dublin struggled to deal with the Tribesmen's enthusiasm.

Galway were sharp up front, where debutant Cathal Mannion was causing Dublin plenty of problems.

Mannion was proving to be an effective target-man, but the youngster also demonstrated admirable skill. too. clipping four points before the break.

Others were contributing in attack for Galway also; Jason Flynn and Niall Healy craved involvement for Anthony Cunningham's side.

Though the teams were deadlocked at 0-03 each after eight minutes, Galway then seized the initiative, scoring 13 of the next 14 scores.

The points were arriving from all kinds of angles; Healy, Conor Cooney, Mannion, and Glynn were in the groove.

Galway centre-back Iarla Tannian was providing a solid defensive platform as Dublin were being blitzed by the Maroons.

With Mannion excellent, Galway's cushion was 12 points as half-time loomed before two frees from Alan McCrabbe trimmed the deficit.

Despite McCrabbe's efforts, Galway still went in protecting a commanding 0-16 to 0-06 advantage at the turnaround.

Galway started the second half as they had the first, Flynn rifling over two splendid points, and Galway were 0-19 to 0-7 in front by the 40th minute.

Dublin's cause was scarcely aided by the dismissal of Keaney on 42 minutes following a second yellow card for a foul on the influential Tannian.

McCrabbe continued to strike frees with precision for Dublin, but Galway were very much in the ascendancy with Healy was converting opportunities.

Visiting substitute Sean McGrath made an instant impact, netting a 59th minute goal for Dublin, but at that stage Galway were 0-27 to 1-10 ahead.

It was an encouraging success for Galway, who travel to Walsh Park for a clash with Waterford next Sunday. Dublin will entertain All-Ireland Champions Clare at Parnell Park in what will be a critical League encounter.

GALWAY: C Callanan; F Moore, R Burke, J Coen; D Collins (0-01), I Tannian, A Harte (0-01); D Burke, P Brehony (0-02); C Cooney (0-06, 5fs), J Glynn (0-04), J Flynn (0-03); C Mannion (0-04), N Healy (0-06,1f), D Glennon (0-01). Subs: R Cummins for Glennon (50 mins), P Landers for Mannion (59 mins), D Burke for Tannian (59 mins), K Hynes for Burke (64 mins), D Dolan for Glynn (67 mins)

DUBLIN: G Maguire; C O'Callaghan, P Kelly, S Timlin; S Hiney, L Rushe, M Carton; R O'Dwyer (0-01), J McCaffrey; C Keaney D Treacy, D Sutcliffe; D O'Callaghan (0-03), P Ryan (0-02, 2fs), M Schutte (0-01). Subs: A McCrabbe (0-04, 4fs) for Ryan (31 mins), C Cronin for Ryan (31 mins), E Dillon for Treacy (36 mins), C McCormack for Hiney (50 mins), S McGrath (1-01, 1f) for O'Dwyer (59 mins)

Referee: J Ryan (Tipperary).

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use