Cork 0-19 Kilkenny 0-14

Updated: Sunday, 28 Jul 2013 23:50 | Comments

Cork handed Kilkenny their second defeat of the summer Cork's Anthony Nash celebrates at the final whistle
Cork handed Kilkenny their second defeat of the summer Cork's Anthony Nash celebrates at the final whistle



Patrick Horgan fired 11 points as Cork claimed a 0-19 to 0-14 All-Ireland SHC quarter-final win over Kilkenny at Semple Stadium.

Horgan - who had his red card from the Munster final rescinded last week - was in superb form throughout as Cork led this game for the most part.

Kilkenny were dealt a major blow with a second yellow card for Henry Shefflin late in the first half, as Cork claimed an 0-11 to 0-06 interval lead.

Kilkenny battled hard on the restart, but Cork kept ahead with goalkeeper Anthony Nash inspirational.

The Cats were boosted with the inclusion of Shefflin and Michael Fennelly in their starting line-up, after the duo bounced back from a period on the sidelines due to injury.

The availability of Glen Rovers clubman Horgan to Jimmy Barry Murphy was a huge boost for the Rebels, with the 25-year old playing a key role throughout this match.

Cork were superb throughout, as Kilkenny were faced with their toughest battle in trying to book a place in their 17th All-Ireland SHC semi-final in succession.

The reigning All-Ireland champions began brightly with Eoin Larkin firing the opening score, but Horgan equalised with the first of his eight first-half points.

Cork raced 0-03 to 0-02 ahead after nine minutes with yet another Horgan pointed free. However Fennelly tied the contest at 0-003-all soon-after.

The Cats were finding it tough to deal with Cork in the midfield sector, and the Rebels punished them moving two points clear after Horgan's fourth score and a first point of the day from Seamus Harnedy.

Kilkenny worked hard with Larkin's third point cutting the gap to the minimum margin after 15 minutes.

But Cork hit their brightest spell in this game soon after to race 0-09 to 0-04 clear with Horgan again impressive from placed balls.

Kilkenny badly needed a score, and they were rewarded with not just one, but two with Paul Murphy leading by example from defence popping up for a point, while Fennelly bagged his second point within 60 seconds

Three points separated the sides, but the Cats were then dealt a major blow with the dismissal of star-forward Henry Shefflin, after a challenge on Jamie Coughlan.

Kilkenny manager Brian Cody said afterwards that on his first viewing he felt Shefflin's second yellow card was harsh.

The Cats battled on, despite this numerical disadvantage, but Cork led by five-points at the break

Referee Barry Kelly wasn't a popular figure as he entered the tunnel at the interval, earning a chorus of boos from the Kilkenny supporters, unhappy at the dismissal of the 11-time All-Star.

Kilkenny rang the changes on the restart, with Cillian Buckley introduced in place of Lester Ryan, and the Cats were fired up at the start of the second half.

A penalty came immediately on the restart, with Shane O'Neill penalised for a wild pull, but Richie Power fluffed his shot from the penalty spot, with a superb block from Anthony Nash.

Kilkenny cut the gap to three points, following a Tommy Walsh point from a tight angle, but Cork tagged on five points without reply, as Pa Cronin, Conor Lehane, Luke O'Farrell and Stephen Moylan added to the Rebels' score.

Kilkenny edged back thanks to the efforts of Aidan Fogarty and Larkin, but Cork defended superbly at the death to book a semi-final encounter.

Unbridled scenes of joy followed at the full-time whistle as Cork booked a last-four date with Leinster champions Dublin.

It will be a quiet August and September ahead for Kilkenny, who won't experience a summertime SHC game in Croke Park for the first time since 1951.

Cork now march on to face Dublin in the semi-finals at Croke Park on Sunday 11 August.

Scorers for Cork: P Horgan (7f) 0-11; C Lehane, P Cronin 0-02 each; L O’Farrell, S Moylan, S Harnedy, J Coughlan 0-01 each.

Scorers for Kilkenny: E Larkin (3f) 0-06; M Fennelly, R Power (1f), A Fogarty 0-02 each P Murphy, T Walsh 0-01 each.

Cork: A Nash; C O Sullivan, S O’Neill, S McDonnell; T Kenny, L McLoughlin, W Egan; C Joyce, D Kearney; J Coughlan, P Cronin, C Lehane; L O’Farrell, S Harnedy, P Horgan. Subs: S Moylan for McLoughlin (55), C Naughton for Coughlan (70)

Kilkenny: E Murphy; P Murphy, JJ Delaney, J Tyrrell; T Walsh, B Hogan, K Joyce; C Buckley, M Fennelly; C Fennelly, R Power, E Larkin; W Walsh, R Hogan, H Shefflin. Subs: L Ryan for Buckley (HT), A Fogarty for R Power (57), TJ Reid for R Hogan (64).

Referee: Barry Kelly

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use