Laois 2-18 Carlow 0-13

Updated: Sunday, 02 Jun 2013 17:49 | Comments

Laois' Brian Dunne vies for posession with with Alan Corcoran
Laois' Brian Dunne vies for posession with with Alan Corcoran


Laois worked their way into a Leinster hurling semi-final with Galway after a powerful second-half display accounted for Carlow at O'Moore Park, 2-18 to 0-13. 

Willie Hyland's first-half goal laid the foundations for the win, but Zane Keenan made sure of the victory nine minutes from time with a goal from a 20-metre free.

Carlow finished the game with 12 men after straight red cards were flashed to Shane Kavanagh, and substitute Paul Coady, while Jack Kavanagh saw two yellows, but at that stage the result had been well and truly confirmed.

In the early stages John Meyler's team looked like the side with victory on their minds as they tore into the tackle and harried Laois players in possession.

After a tight opening 15 minutes they held a 0-03 to 0-02 advantage, but a minute later Hyland punished some hesitant defending to flick past Frank Foley for the game's opening goal.

Even that score didn’t deter the visitors as Hugh Patrick O'Byrne hit a monster point from distance, before Sean Murphy added another to pull Carlow back to within two points.

Two minutes from the break they had levelled the scores after Marty Kavanagh and O'Byrne pointed but crucially Laois finished the half the stronger and three points on the spin gave them a 1-07 to 0-07 lead at the break.

That dominance continued after the restart as the Laois forwards suddenly began to find shooting room a little easier.

They went on to hit another seven points without reply, including a huge free from just outside his own 45 metre line from Matthew Whelan.

Foley halted Laois' charge with a terrific save to deny Tommy Fitzgerald a certain goal in the 47th minute as a determined Carlow refused to break.

And they hit back with four points of their own in a row to leave just six points between the sides with 14 minutes remaining.

However, in the face of the Carlow resurgence Laois accelerated again and points from Joe Fitzpatrick and Cahir Healy, and Keenan's unstoppable free sealed the win well before Shane Kavanagh, Coady and Jack Kavanagh (two yellows) received their marching orders in the last five minutes.

Laois: E Reilly; B Stapleton, B Campion, J A Delaney; J Fitzpatrick (0-02), M Whelan (0-02, 0-02f), G Burke; C Healy (0-02), J Walsh; S Maher (0-09, 0-07f), Z Keenan (1-00, 1-00f), B Dunne; T Fitzgerald (0-01), N Foyle, W Hyland (1-01).

Subs: D Maher for Campion (9 mins), J Brophy for Dunne (42 mins), B Duggan (0-01) for Foyle (54 mins), C Dunne for Walsh (66 mins).

Carlow: F Foley; D English (0-02, 0-02f), E Nolan, D Shaw; H P O'Byrne (0-02), A Corcoran, D Byrne; R Coady, J Kavanagh; E Coady (0-03), S Kavanagh, S Murphy (0-01); C Doyle, M Kavanagh (0-04, 0-03f), J M Nolan (0-01, 0-01f).

Subs: M Brennan for Murphy (47 mins), P Coady for Byrne (47 mins), P Shaw for Nolan (51 mins), D Roberts for Doyle (66 mins), C McCabe for D Shaw (67).

Referee: Johnny Ryan (Tipperary).

Highlights and analysis of all the weekend’s action on The Sunday Game from 21:30 on Sunday 2 June on RTÉ Two and RTÉ.ie (Ireland only).

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use