Dublin 2-15 Tipperary 0-21

Updated: Saturday, 24 Mar 2012 21:07

David Treacy's goal early in the second half helped Dublin earn a point at Croke Park
David Treacy's goal early in the second half helped Dublin earn a point at Croke Park

A 74th minute goal from Liam Rushe ensured a share of the spoils for Dublin against Tipperary in a 2-15 to 0-21 draw in Croke Park.

The sides were tied on ten occasions in the Allianz Hurling League Division 1A clash at Croke Park, including four times in the opening half.

Late scores from Brian O'Meara and Pa Bourke gave Tipperary a 0-09 to 0-07 interval advantage, but Dublin hit back with  David Treacy's 38th-minute goal. Dublin led by two points with nine minutes remaining and although Tipperary broke ahead, Rushe had the final say.

Injuries continued to cause Dublin boss Anthony Daly headaches in the build-up to the game, with Paul Ryan the latest player to be ruled out. A hamstring tear, sustained against Kilkenny last Sunday, will keep the freetaker out for up to six weeks.

However, there was some good news for Daly with Alan McCrabbe returning to action and the Craobh Chiaráin clubman had a strong influence on the Metropolitans' attack.

Tipperary made two changes to the team announced midweek with Michael Cahill and Conor O'Mahony replaced by Conor O'Brien and John Coghlan respectively.

Dublin started solidly with McCrabbe and Danny Sutcliffe both registering a point inside the opening four minutes.

Little was given away by either side early on with two quick scores from Pa Bourke and Brendan Maher ensuring the sides were deadlocked at 0-02 apiece after six minutes.

Every time Dublin got on top Tipperary seemed to have an answer. Ryan O'Dwyer and Sutcliffe strung together scores before efforts from Pa and Shane Bourke tied the contest at 0-04 apiece after 19 minutes.

Two minutes earlier, Tipperary goalkeeper Darren Gleeson pulled off a superb save. Rushe cut loose, breaking through the centre before feeding Eamon Dillon with a pass. However, Dillon failed to get his shot past the well-positioned Gleeson.

A brace of quick points from Rushe pushed Dublin 0-06 to 0-04 ahead after 21 minutes, but Tipperary managed to outscore their opponents by five points to one in the closing 10 minutes of the half.

Pa Bourke continued to show impressive accuracy from placed balls, while Noel McGrath and O'Meara chipped in with some excellent scores from play.

Declan Ryan's charges led by 0-09 to 0-07 at the break, but Daly's men rose again on the restart. The introduction of David Treacy certainly spurred the Metropolitans on, with the DIT student showing razor sharp form.

A two-year stint on the sidelines due to a succession of hamstring injuries has hampered Treacy, but he showed glimpses of his best when outgunning the Premier County defence.

Defender Johnny McCaffrey set Dublin off to a great start with a point in the opening minute of the second half, before Treacy delighted the home crowd with a timely goal.

Treacy beat Tipperary half-back Thomas Stapleton for pace and then slotted a low shot past Gleeson at the Hill 16 end of the ground.

Leading by 1-10 to 0-10 after Treacy had brought his tally to 1-02 in the 44th minute, Dublin looked poised to push on for their first win of the league campaign.

However, four of the next fives points came from Tipperary to tie the game at 0-14 to 1-11 with nine minutes left on the clock.

David O'Callaghan and substitute Johnny Ryan traded scores, with the sides level for the seventh time. Niall McMorrow and Tipperary native O'Dwyer both pointed to push Dublin 1-14 to 0-15 ahead in the 62nd minute, but Tipperary gritted their teeth and battled on.

Kilruane MacDonaghs clubman Brian O'Meara struck four excellent points from play in the closing 35 minutes, including two in the latter stages, as Tipperary dominated to turn things around to lead by 0-21 to 1-15 in injury-time.

However, there was still time for Rushe to rip up the script with a fantastic levelling goal. He rose highest to brilliantly gather Joey Boland's delivery in and burst clear to rocket a stinging shot past Gleeson, although it did appear that he had taken too many steps.

Dublin: D Treacy, L Rushe 1-02 each, A McCrabbe 0-03 (0-02f), N McMorrow, R O'Dwyer, D Sutcliffe 0-02 each, J McCaffrey, D O'Callaghan 0-01 each

Tipperary: P Bourke 0-06 (0-05f), B O'Meara 0-05, N McGrath 0-04 (0-02f), J O'Keeffe 0-02, B Maher, S McGrath, J Ryan 0-01 each

Dublin: G Maguire; N Corcoran, P Schutte, R Treanor; M Carton, J Boland, J McCaffrey; S Durkin, S Lambert; L Rushe, R O'Dwyer, D Sutcliffe; E Dillon, D O'Callaghan, A McCrabbe.

Subs used: D Treacy for Dillon (half-time), S Stapleton for Lambert (52 mins), N McMorrow for McCrabbe (55), M O'Brien for Schutte (58).

Tipperary: D Gleeson; D Maher, P Curran, C O'Brien; T Stapleton, J Coghlan, P Maher; B Maher, J Woodlock; G Ryan, N McGrath, P Bourke; J O'Neill, B O'Meara, S Bourke.

Subs used: J O'Brien for S Bourke (half-time), D Young for Coghlan (46 mins), J Ryan for P Bourke (48), S McGrath for Woodlock (58), T Hammersley for O'Neill (69).

Referee: Brian Gavin (Offaly)