Limerick 1-22 Wexford 2-13

Updated: Saturday, 02 Jul 2011 20:35

Eoin Quigley leaps over Nicky Quaid on his way to scoring his side's first goal
Eoin Quigley leaps over Nicky Quaid on his way to scoring his side's first goal

Limerick overcame Wexford on home turf to book their place in tomorrow’s draw for the All-Ireland SHC third phase qualifiers.

Teenager Declan Hannon hit a superb sideline cut to help the Shannonsiders move 0-08 to 0-04 ahead, before Wexford’s Eoin Quigley nipped in for a goal.

Limerick built on their 0-11 to 1-06 half-time lead, with Graeme Mulcahy scoring a well-taken goal.

Wexford battled on despite having Paul Roche sent-off for an incident involving Mulcahy, but Rory Jacob’s late goal mattered little in the end.

The start of this match at the Gaelic Grounds was delayed for 12 minutes to enable the crowd gain entrance, with bizarrely only the turnstiles at the Mackey Stand initially opened.

After a lively and competitive 70 minutes, it was the Limerick supporters who went home happy not only with the result, but because of the fluency in their team with their neat passing being a particular feature.

The 18-year-old Hannon, who has just completed his Leaving Cert, marked his Championship debut with nine of Limerick's points - four from play, one sideline and four frees in what was an excellent showing.

Mulcahy's goal 18 seconds into the second half sent Limerick clear by five points, having been just two in front at the end of a first half which they dominated for the most part.

Having missed two glorious goal-scoring chances and shot seven wides, Donal O'Grady's men needed a bright start after the interval and the goal was just what was needed.

Wexford captain Darren Stamp fumbled possession in the heart of his defence, allowing James Ryan to pounce and he created the chance for Mulcahy to scoop a low shot past goalkeeper Niall Breen.

Wexford's first half goal came after 29 minutes when Limerick goalkeeper Nicky Quaid came off his line and failed to gather possession, allowing Quigley to slip in between two defenders and tap the ball to the net.

The concession of that goal cut Limerick's lead to 0-08 to 1-04 after the sides had been level on four previous occasions, with Donal O'Grady and Garrett Sinnott having opened the scoring.

Limerick were still in front by eight points when Wexford corner-back Paul Roche was shown a straight red card for a wild pull on Mulcahy. The Limerick corner-forward was on fire in the second half after a poor display early on. He finished with a tally of 1-04.

It was very much one-way traffic then with Limerick cruising and Wexford playing catch-up. A goal in the dying embers of the game by Rory Jacob only helped to put a gloss on the scoreline.

Limerick will regret that the game was not a greater contest, but their manager O'Grady was still pleased with the high score put on the board.

Limerick - D Hannon 0-09 (0-04f, 0-01sl), G Mulcahy 1-04, N Moran 0-03, D O'Grady 0-02, J Ryan, K Downes, M O'Riordan, T O'Brien 0-01 each
Wexford - R Jacob, E Quigley (0-01f) 1-02 each, G Sinnott 0-03, PJ Nolan 0-02, K Rossiter, H Kehoe, E Martin, D Reynolds 0-01 each

LIMERICK: N Quaid; D Moloney, S Hickey, T Condon; W McNamara, B Geary, G O'Mahony (capt); D O'Grady, P Browne; N Moran, J Ryan, D Hannon; G Mulcahy, K Downes, S Tobin.

Subs used: M O'Riordan for Browne (44 mins), S Walsh for Condon (50), T O'Brien for Downes (57), D Ryan for Mulcahy (65).

WEXFORD: N Breen; P Roche, M O'Hanlon, K Rossiter; L Prendergast, D Stamp (capt), M Travers; E Quigley, M Jacob, PJ Nolan, H Kehoe, S Banville; R Jacob, G Sinnott, J Berry.

Subs used: C Farrell for Travers (47 mins), D Redmond for Quigley (55), B Doyle for Berry (59), E Martin for Kehoe (66).

Referee: Michael Wadding (Waterford)