Dublin 0-19 Galway 2-07

Updated: Saturday, 18 Jun 2011 22:27

Conal Keaney of Dublin breaks away from Galway's Barry Daly
Conal Keaney of Dublin breaks away from Galway's Barry Daly



Thirteen points from corner-forward Paul Ryan sent league champions Dublin into the Leinster final and confined a poor Galway to the qualifiers.

Goals in either half from Joe Canning and Joe Gantley kept the Tribesmen in contention, but the sharp shooting of the Ballyboden St Enda's man set up a rematch of the league final against Kilkenny.

Dublin had Ryan O’Dwyer sent off in the second-half seconds after Galway’s second goal from an impressive Gantley, but Anthony Daly’s men had too much for Galway from start to finish.

With the Cats waiting in the wings for the victors it was always going to be a battle. And with wins over Offaly and now Galway under the belt, Dublin will fancy taking consecutive wins from Brian Cody’s side.

In the build-up to the Tullamore clash, much was made of Dublin’s wastefulness in front of goal when the sides met in the national league earlier in the year.

But playing with a strong wind at their backs the Metropolitans took to the front early in the opening half.

Ryan, who took the free taking duties from Conal Keaney during that Parnell Park league meeting, gave Dublin a two-point advantage inside three minutes with two well-struck dead balls.

Joe Canning halved that advantage from a free after their hat-trick hero against Westmeath, Cyril Donnellan, was fouled after he splendidly plucked the ball from the air.

Dublin were dominating all the early exchanges, with their physicality and tenaciousness proving difficult to cope with for the Tribesmen, who struggled to find their feet.

However, after seven minutes the class of Canning came to the fore as Galway hit the front.

A direct ball from vice captain Tony Óg Regan in to the corner was chased down by the Portumna colossus and his marker Tomas Brady.

Canning gathered possession in the tackle, which saw Brady collapse with a knee injury, which ended his involvement. Canning then cut in from the wing and arrowed a blistering shot past Gary Maguire from the tightest of angles.

The goal gave the Tribesmen a two point lead and it might have triggered a flurry of scores from the westerners on another day.

Instead they went 17 minutes without registering another score, in which time Dublin hit five of their own to take control.

And it was the Ballyboden free-taker that started that run when he punished a foul by David Burke after ten minutes.

A superb point from play from former football star Conal Keaney soon followed and three more frees from Ryan gave Dublin a 0-7 to 1-1 lead after 22 minutes.

Galway’s standout forward on the day, Gantley, hit a good point on the run to settle Galway’s nerves once more, but that score triggered another Dublin surge to the half time break.

Three minutes from the break Ryan hit his seventh free of the half when Galway captain Damien Joyce was harshly punished for a holding offence.

And straight from James Skehill’s puck-out Keaney gathered possession and pointed from distance – his side’s ninth of the half.

A minute later a driving solo run from Keaney made room for David O’Callaghan to swing over another point for Daly’s men and in the fourth minute of injury time he repeated the dose when it seemed impossible to get his shot away.

The late rush of scores saw Galway trail by 0-12 to 1-2 at the half-time interval and McIntyre attempted to reinvigorate his troops with the introduction of Clarenbridge forward Alan Kerins.

Two minutes after the restart Galway had a super chance to halt Dublin’s progress when Donnellan broke through the centre of the Dublin rearguard.

His solo run brought him to the edge of the Dublin area, but instead of slipping through the unmarked Canning for a certain goal, he chose to continue and he instantly lost his footing and Dublin cleared.

Gantley softened the blow with another point from play to reduce the deficit to six points, but that proved to be as close as Galway got to the league champions.

After earlier leading from the front with a plethora of frees, Ryan hit a wonder score form the left touchline in the 38th minute to restore their seven point lead and a minute later Canning’s disappointing day continued when he uncharacteristically missed a straightforward 65.

In the 40th minute Galway were awarded a 20-metre free after Gantley’s progress was halted, but once more Canning was denied a goal thanks to a great save by Maguire.

Four points from Alan McCrabbe and Ryan (three frees) was sandwiched by a free from Canning as a dominant Dublin pushed their lead out to ten points with 19 minutes remaining.

However, Galway refused to lie down and take the beating and two great scores from Gantley and Canning – from his own 65m line – renewed their faint hopes of a comeback.

But once again Ryan stepped up to the mark and struck a brilliant point from a tight angle, this time from the right as Dublin stepped ever closer to a rematch with Kilkenny in the Leinster final.

But in the 56th minute Galway hit their second goal, when a booming free from Skehill broke kindly inside the area to Gantley and his ground stroke found the bottom corner of Maguire’s net to leave just six points between the sides.

And things went from bad to worse for Dublin less than a minute later when O’Dwyer was shown a straight red card by Waterford referee Michael Wadding for an altercation with Shane Kavanagh.

With 13 minutes remaining, panic could have ensued in the Sky Blue camp after the sending off, especially when Kerins split the posts after some good work by Gantley.

But that was Galway’s last score of the game as their challenge fizzled out and fittingly the final act of a memorable day was left to Ryan, whose 13th point of the day sealed Dublin’s spot in the Leinster decider.

Dublin scorers: P Ryan (0-13 11fs); C Keaney (0-3); D O’Callaghan (0-2); A McCrabbe (0-1).

Galway scorers: J Canning (1-3, 2fs); J Gantley (1-3); A Kerins (0-1).

Dublin: G Maguire; N Corcoran, T Brady, O Gough; J McCaffrey, P Kelly, S Durkin; L Rushe, A McCrabbe; C McCormack, R O'Dwyer, C Keaney; P Carton, D O'Callaghan, P Ryan.

Substitutes: S Lambert for Brady, inj, 11; D Plunkett for Carton, 59; D Treacy for McCormack, 63; M O’Brien for McCrabbe, 66; D O’Dwyer for Treacy, 69.

Galway: J Skehill; D Joyce, D Collins, F Moore; S Kavanagh, T Og Regan, A Cullinane; B Daly, D Burke; E Ryan, C Donnellan, J Gantley; D Hayes, J Canning, A Callanan.

Substitutes: A Kerins for Ryan, half-time; D Barry for Daly, inj, 49; K Hynes for Burke, 56; A Harte for Hayes, 62; J Coen for Callanan, 66.

Referee: M Wadding (Waterford).