Nicky Rackard Cup round-up

Updated: Wednesday, 06 Aug 2008 02:43

Cavan's Andrew Nelligan is surrounded by Monaghan's Michael Greaney and Stephen Lambe
Cavan's Andrew Nelligan is surrounded by Monaghan's Michael Greaney and Stephen Lambe

MONAGHAN 1-11 CAVAN 0-09, Clones

Stephen Lambe again proved to be an influential force as Monaghan advanced to the semi-finals of the Nicky Rackard Cup, with five points to spare over neighbours Cavan.

Lambe crashed home a first half goal for the eventual winners as they took a 1-08 to 0-06 lead into the interval.

Cavan tried hard in defence with Paul Sheridan giving an impressive display, and although the game finished in tense circumstances with Monaghan having Bernard O'Brien sent-off, they still held on for victory.

NON ARDS 2-16 LOUTH 4-13, Newry

Full-forward Diarmuid Murphy was prominent as Louth held on for a three-point quarter-final win over Non Ards (South Down) at Páirc Esler in Newry.

Louth were in the ascendancy for the majority of this game and built up a comfortable seven-point lead early in the second half.

However, the visitors withstood strong pressure in the final quarter, with Steven Smith forced to pull off a goal-line save.

Liam Morgan scored a second goal for the hosts, and John Browne converted a late '65', but they failed to complete the hat-trick they needed as Louth advanced.

FINGAL 1-19 LEITRIM 0-12, Parnell Park

A strong first-half performance ensured Fingal's march through the Nicky Rackard Cup continued with a well-deserved win at Parnell Park.

The north County Dublin side coasted in the opening half, and led by 0-14 to 0-03 at the interval.

Clem Cunniffe was the only scorer for the visitors during the opening half as the Leitrim free-taker slotted over from placed balls.

Leitrim came more into the game as the contest progressed, but a second half goal from Emmet McCabe gave Fingal a semi-final spot.

SLIGO 2-15 TYRONE 2-11, Markievicz Park

The sharpshooting of Keith Raymond (1-04) and Paul Seevers (0-07) at Markievicz Park ensured the Sligo hurlers' progress through to a Rackard Cup semi-final.

Aided by a gusty first half wind and good work from Cormac McHugh and David Lavery, Tyrone led by 1-06 to 0-06 at half-time, with Seevers keeping Sligo in touch.

Although McHugh goaled in the second half, Sligo goals from Joe Bannerton and Raymond copper-fastened the home win.