Cork 1-13 Tipperary 1-19

Updated: Sunday, 08 Jun 2008 20:54

Tipperary manager Liam Sheedy celebrates a historic victory with his daughter Aisling and niece Deirdre Tipperary goal scorer Eoin Kelly celebrates
Tipperary manager Liam Sheedy celebrates a historic victory with his daughter Aisling and niece Deirdre Tipperary goal scorer Eoin Kelly celebrates


Liam Sheedy's Tipperary side created history at Pairc Ui Chaoimh this afternoon as they won their county's first championship match in Cork since 1923.

Tipp, taking their unbeaten run this season to 11 wins and two draws, scored eight of the game's final nine points to power through to next month's Munster final.

A Ben O'Connor goal and three Cathal Naughton points had Cork leading by 1-08 to 0-04 but Tipp, thanks to a dominant spell late in the half, only trailed by 1-08 to 1-07 at half-time.

Team captain Eoin Kelly rocketed home a goal in the 24th-minute, leaving his marker Brian Murphy and goalkeeper Donal Óg Cusack gasping.

Kelly finished with a personal tally of 1-07 and was ably assisted by Lar Corbett (0-04) and championship debutant Seamus Callinan (0-03).

Some of the 42,823-strong crowd had to sit in front of the hoardings at the Blackrock end of the ground and they witnessed two missed goal chances for Cork during the second half.

Had Brendan Cummins and his defence not been on their toes to deny Pa Cronin and Paudie O'Sullivan, who failed to convert a 44th-minute penalty, there may well have been a different result.

But Cork's shooting let them down after the break and although the free-running Naughton, Sean Óg Ó hAilpín and the O'Connor twins, Ben and Jerry, fought until the end, Tipp found that crucial extra gear to pull through.

For the counties' 77th championship meeting, both Sheedy and his Cork counterpart Gerald McCarthy included two championship newcomers in their starting line-ups.

Cork had fresh faces in their attack in Kevin Canty and Paudie O'Sullivan, the younger brother of full-back Diarmuid, while the aforementioned Callinan and corner-back Conor O'Brien made their bows for the Premier County.

Cork opted for a youthful full-forward line, with all three players eligible for the Under-21 grade. The experienced Joe Deane, Kieran Murphy and Neil Ronan had to make do with places on the bench.

Tipp's selected side showed one change to the one that lined out for the National League final against Galway, with Benny Dunne making way for Callinan.

However, Tipp seemed to leave their league form behind them in the opening stages as Cork roared ahead - they were seven points clear by the 23rd-minute.

Naughton was on fire as he revelled in his role as a third midfielder. The Newtownshandrum man popped up on both wings as his pace caused problems for the Tipp rearguard.

Tipp had won the toss and elected to play in towards the Blackrock end and they nipped ahead when Lar Corbett got out in front of Diarmuid O'Sullivan and hand-passed for Shane McGrath to point.

Naughton flung over a point in reply from the left before Corbett again got the better of O'Sullivan and pointed on the turn.

Wides followed from Ben O'Connor and McGrath before the former raced through to ram a fine goal past Tipp 'keeper Cummins.

Tipp were badly exposed down the middle as Timmy McCarthy got in behind Eamonn Corcoran and with the ball breaking for the onrushing O'Connor, the Cork number 10 hit the net with a crisp shot.

O'Connor then turned provider as he set up his brother Jerry for a point. Cork were beginning to get into their stride as Naughton, who covered acres of ground, scored from the right wing for 1-03 to 0-02.

Perhaps rattled, Tipp were resorting to long-range shooting and Corbett, Kelly and Willie Ryan were starved of ball inside.

The Rebels pushed on with further points from Jerry and Ben O'Connor before Ryan ended a 15-minute scoreless period for the league champions.

With his marker O'Sullivan fighting off a back injury, Corbett got free to take Tipp's tally to 0-04 but points from Paudie O'Sullivan, Naughton and Ó hAilpín, who burst past two defenders before rifling over, put serious distance between the sides.

Tipp were struggling but Eamonn Corcoran stood out in defence and Sheedy's charges then hit a purple patch as they began to find Kelly and Corbett with their deliveries.

Conor O'Brien was switched onto the roaming Naughton before Kelly, who had to wait 20 minutes for his first real touch of the ball, grabbed his goal.

The Mullinahone ace caught a high ball and turning onto his right under pressure from Brian Murphy, he somehow found the space to send a stinging shot to the far right corner of Cusack's net.

Strangely, the tempo dropped after Kelly's goal as both sides went through the motions when stringing together some poor wides.

Cork skipper John Gardiner and Pa Cronin were both off target, while Tipp's wides tally ballooned to nine thanks to Willie Ryan, Seamus Butler and James Woodlock.

Still, with a better supply into the forwards, Tipp were able to close the gap to a single point by the interval.

Cusack blocked an angled goal shot from Kelly but the Tipp captain fired over a subsequent free, substitute Pat Kerwick also registered a point and Corbett gleefully claimed his third point in injury-time.

The momentum was clearly with Tipp yet the Cathal Naughton Show resumed at the start of the second half. His arching run in from the left saw him grab a deflected point.

Callinan replied at the other end but Cork were now having the better of the play and Cummins' reactions were tested by Cronin's 39th-minute shot.

Naughton's pace again exposed the Tipp defence, four minutes later. His hand-pass for Cronin might have put the young full-forward through for a goal but he was brought to ground by Paul Curran and Cork had a penalty.

Paudie O'Sullivan's decision to take the placed ball was a brave one but unfortunately it back-fired on him as a combination of Corcoran and Cummins blocked the youngster's effort.

Cork were never the same after that miss, despite initial points from Ben O'Connor and Tom Kenny, who worked tirelessly throughout.

Three points from Kelly had Tipp back on terms on two occasions. The third of those points came after a long ball had broken to him off substitute Micheal Webster.

The long-limbed Webster was used very effectively as a target man in the closing stages as Tipp simply enveloped Cork and hit point after point.

The Rebels' wides tally was pushed to ten before a Ben O'Connor free edged the 2006 champions into a 1-12 to 1-11 lead.

But right on the hour mark, Webster evaded Diarmuid O'Sullivan and turned onto his right to tie up the game for the fourth time.

Webster drew a foul from O'Sullivan just moments later, allowing Kelly to tap over an easy free and Tipp were back in front (1-13 to 1-12).

Sheedy's side never looked back as Callinan (0-02), Corcoran, who scored a peach of a sideline cut, McGrath, Corbett and Kelly all claimed points in the closing ten minutes.

The only response from Cork was a close-range point from substitute Brian Corry. Deane, Niall McCarthy and Kieran Murphy were all introduced as substitutes but their influence was minimal as Tipp set up a 13 July decider against either Limerick or Clare.

CORK: D Óg Cusack; S O'Neill, D O'Sullivan, B Murphy; J Gardiner (capt), R Curran, S Óg Ó hAilpín (0-01); J O’Connor (0-02), T Kenny (0-01); B O'Connor (1-03, 0-02f), K Canty, T McCarthy; P O'Sullivan (0-01), P Cronin, C Naughton (0-04).

Subs used: S Murphy for B Murphy (32-35 mins, blood sub), N McCarthy for Canty, K Murphy (Sarsfields) for T McCarthy (both 47), B Corry (0-01) for Cronin (54), J Deane for P O’Sullivan (66), P Horgan for N McCarthy (68).

TIPPERARY: B Cummins; E Buckley, P Curran, C O’Brien; E Corcoran (0-01, 0-01 sl), C O'Mahony, S Maher; J Woodlock, S McGrath (0-01); S Butler, S Callinan (0-03), R O'Dwyer; E Kelly (capt) (1-07, 0-05f), L Corbett (0-04), W Ryan (0-01).

Subs used: P Kerwick (0-01) for O'Dwyer (32 mins), B Dunne for Woodlock (45), M Webster (0-01) for Butler (47), J O’Brien for Ryan (54), D Egan for Callinan (70+3).

Referee: Barry Kelly (Westmeath)