Review of Walsh & Kehoe Cup action

Updated: Sunday, 13 Jan 2008 19:00

Seamus Qualter's Westmeath fell to UCD this afternoon
Seamus Qualter's Westmeath fell to UCD this afternoon

UCD and Westmeath kicked off the Walsh Cup senior hurling competition, which began in earnest today. The students did enough to claim a 2-15 to 0-14 win at Cusack Park, Mullingar.

Seamus Qualter's Westmeath side also played their part in a lively contest, which saw the sides level with 10 minutes remaining.

However UCD pulled away in the closing stages of the game, with Maurice Nolan impressing with his second goal for the students.

Nolan's first major settled UCD early on and they took a 1-07 to 0-06 lead into the interval, with Brendan Murtagh and Enda Loughlin both on target for the home side.

Westmeath did outscore the visitors by four points to one during a 10-minute spell after half-time, thanks to efforts from Loughlin and Brian Connaughton.

But their good work was cancelled out in the closing stages thanks to Nolan's second goal. UCD's reward for pulling away by the finish is a meeting with Dublin next Sunday.

Meanwhile, Neill Hackett was the scorer in chief as Meath advanced to the last-eight of the Kehoe Cup, following their facile 16-point win over Athlone IT at Pairc Tailteann in Navan.

The Dunboyne clubman scored 11 points as the hosts powered to a 1-16 to 0-03 victory. They now meet Trinity College in the quarter-finals, following the students' midweek win over Louth.

Also in the Kehoe Cup, a goal-hungry DIT side saw off the challenge of Mayo at the grounds of Ballymun Kickhams this afternoon.

DIT were certainly impressive as they romped to an 18-point win. Laois' Sean Bourke and Dublin's Paul Ryan scored two goals each, while Brendan McInerney bagged another in the students' 5-17 to 0-14 success.

The experimental Fingal combination from north Dublin made a winning start to competitive action with a 3-12 to 1-11 defeat of IT Tallaght.

Meanwhile, two Kehoe Cup games succumbed to the bad weather conditions with Kildare v DCU and Longford v Carlow being called off. Wicklow received a walkover against Carlow IT.