Monaghan lay to rest Croke Park championship hoodoo

Updated: Saturday, 02 Aug 2014 23:33 | Comments

Vinny Corey fired home Monaghan's opening goal
Vinny Corey fired home Monaghan's opening goal


Monaghan 2-16 Kildare 2-14 AET 

Monaghan recovered from a slow start against Kildare to record their first championship victory at Croke Park in 84 years and advance to the All-Ireland SFC quarter-finals after extra-time at HQ. 

Emmet Bolton grabbed two first-half goals to give Kildare the early advantage, while Paul Finlay and Conor McManus each scored three Monaghan points.

The Lilywhites led by 2-05 to 0-08 at the interval, but a Vinny Corey goal and a late equaliser from McManus tied it up at 2-10 to 1-13 at full-time.

Chris McGuinness netted to give Monaghan the edge in extra-time, and they held on to win by two points.

Conor McManus and Alan Smith swapped early points, but with both sides set up with sweepers, clear-cut scoring chances were scarce.

Emmet Bolton got forward to send the Lilywhites ahead, but Chris McGuinness instantly levelled.

Monaghan’s go-to man McManus was double-teamed, and despite the midfield success rate of Dick Clerkin, Darren Hughes and deep-lying full-forward Kieran Hughes, the Ulster men struggled to prise openings in the Kildare rearguard.

Nevertheless, they were level by the 17th minute when Finlay cancelled out Eoghan O’Flaherty’s converted free.

Goalkeeper Rory Beggan missed two long-range frees, but his kick-out strategy was an effective launchpad for Farney attacks.

It was Kildare, however, who stunned their opponents with a brilliant 19th-minute goal, Alan Smith slipping the ball inside for Bolton to gather and blast to the top corner of the net.

Five minutes later, Bolton struck again with another penetrating run from deep, spooning the ball to the net from Cathal McNally’s cross.

Monaghan’s defence was creaking, but the trouble stemmed from problems with tracking further out the field.

Monaghan had points from placed balls from Finlay and McManus, but McGuinness was the only Farney forward to score from play in the first half.

Kildare led by 2-05 to 0-08 at the interval, but the Ulster men trimmed back the deficit with scores from McGuinness, McManus and Finlay, before McManus broke free of the shackles of double markers Ollie Lyons and Fergal Conway to send centre-back Corey in for a 49th minute goal.

Now they led by two, and appeared to be primed to go for the win, as Fintan Kelly fired over another point.

But Jason Ryan made a raft of changes, and they did the trick, with Kildare hitting three points on the spin to go back in front.

Eamonn Callaghan’s equaliser was followed by the lead score from Eoghan O’Flaherty, now back in the action after being substituted.

There was still time for Monaghan skipper McManus to tie it up at 2-10 to 1-13 with his fifth free in stoppage-time.

Monaghan struck decisive blows in the first period, with substitute Jack McCarron scoring with his first touch, before McGuinness collected Kieran Hughes’ cross to fire in their second goal.

They led by 2-15 to 2-11 at the end of the opening period, and defended heroically to the end, even though they needed a terrific Rory Beggan save to deny Eoin Doyle.

Kildare: M Donnellan, C Fitzpatrick, H McGrillen, O Lyons, E Bolton (2-01), F Conway, K Cribbin, T Moolick, P O’Neill (0-01), C McNally, H Lynch (0-01), E Callaghan (0-01), A Smith (0-03), P Brophy, E O’Flaherty (0-04, 1f).

Subs: E Doyle for Bolton (37), G White for Lynch (40), N Kelly (0-01) for White (50), T O’Connor for McNally (53), S Hurley for O’Flaherty (59), O’Flaherty for Hurley (62), S Hurley for Brophy (65), D Hylanbd for Cribbin (70), P Fogarty (0-02, 1f, 1 ’45) for O’Connor (77), M Conway for F Conway (84)

Monaghan: R Beggan, R Wylie, D Wylie (0-01), C Walshe, D Mone, V Corey (1-00), F Kelly (0-01), D Clerkin, D Hughes (0-01), P McKenna, S Gollogly (1-03), P Finlay (0-04, 4f), T Kerr, K Hughes, C McManus (0-5, 5f).

Subs: S Gollogly for Clerkin (h-t), G Doogan for Kerr (h-t), K O’Connell for McKenna (55), R Wylie for Boyle (65), K Duffy for Doogan (69), J McCarron (0-01) for Finlay (77), Doogan for Mone (BC, 89))

Referee: D Coldrick (Meath).

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use