Dublin 2-25 Wexford 1-12

Updated: Sunday, 29 Jun 2014 21:35 | Comments

Dublin's Dean Rock under pressure from Conor Carty of Wexford
Dublin's Dean Rock under pressure from Conor Carty of Wexford



Cormac Costello delivered another super substitute performance to help Dublin to a 2-25 to 1-12 win over Wexford and a ninth Leinster SFC final in 10 seasons.

The former underage star helped himself to 1-5 in just 35 minutes and in the process became Dublin's leading scorer in this year's Championship.

It is an achievement that demonstrates Dublin's awesome panel depth following his three-point substitute appearance against Laois.

Dublin trailed at half-time against Laois, something they had done in four of their seven Championship games under Jim Gavin before this one.

But they were rarely under pressure this time and a four-point lead at half-time was something more like the status quo.

From there, they duly closed out the game with a siege of second-half scoring, 2-15 in total, ensuring a Leinster final rematch with Meath on 20 July.

It will be the third season in a row that the old rivals have met and All-Ireland champions Dublin will go in as big favourites again.

There is no let up to the back-to-back league champions' dominance and their substitutes continue to make a dramatic impact for them.

Dublin subs scored 3-17 in last year's Championship, 0-9 against Laois last time out and another 1-9 here.

It was ominous beginning for Wexford supporters in the 46,279 crowd as Dublin moved 0-4 to 0-1 ahead in the opening minutes.

Stephen Cluxton opened the scoring with a converted '45 before Paul Flynn, Paul Mannion and Dean Rock got in on the act.

Dublin's Paul Mannion has a shot blocked

Wexford fought back to one down and enjoyed spells of good play but Dublin deservedly led 0-10 to 0-6 at half-time.

Jim Gavin's side were without All Star forward Bernard Brogan although they didn't particularly miss him, brother Alan, Rock and Paul Mannion all getting on the score-sheet.

A Jason Holmes point after the restart left Wexford just three behind, but Dublin took off from there with a succession of scores to put serious daylight between the sides.

Costello got Dublin's opening goal after 47 minutes after a great solo run and pass from Michael Darragh Macauley, moving them 1-14 to 0-8 ahead.

There was a brace of points each for subs Eoghan O'Gara and Tomas Brady before Dublin's second goal late on.

Paul Flynn got the goal a minute from full-time, blasting a right footed shot to the roof of Wexford's net to secure a whopping 16-point demolition.

Wexford managed a goal of their own, which was little more than a consolation, with Daithi Waters netting heading into the last ten minutes. Overall, though, Wexford had no answer to Dublin.

Dublin: S Cluxton (0-01, 1 '45), P McMahon (0-01), J Cooper, R O'Carroll, J McCarthy, K Nolan, N Devereux (0-01), MD Macauley (0-01), C O'Sullivan, P Flynn (1-02), D Rock (0-04, 4f), D Connolly (0-02, 1f), P Mannion (0-03), A Brogan (0-01), K McManamon.

Subs: C Costello (1-05, 2f) for Rock, E O'Gara (0-02) for Brogan, J McCaffrey for McManamon, T Brady (0-02) for O'Sullivan, M Fitzsimons for Devereux, B Cullen for Macauley.

Wexford: S Roche, C Carty, G Molloy, R Tierney, M Furlong, B Malone, A Flynn, D Waters (1-00), P Byrne, K O'Grady (0-01), PJ Banville (0-03), T Rossiter, C Lyng (0-01, 1f), B Brosnan (0-06, 3f), J Holmes (0-01).

Subs: Cillian Kehoe for Holmes, M O'Regan for Flynn, E Nolan for Byrne, D Dunne for Rossiter, Colm Kehoe for O'Grady. G Cullen for Banville.

Referee: C Branagan (Down).

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use