Monaghan 1-12 Tyrone 0-14

Updated: Monday, 16 Jun 2014 17:21 | Comments

Darren McCurry of Tyrone with Gerard McCaffrey of Monaghan
Darren McCurry of Tyrone with Gerard McCaffrey of Monaghan


Defending champions Monaghan held on for a 1-12 to 0-14 win over Tyrone in the Ulster Football Championship quarter-finals at Clones.

Monaghan’s Kieran Hughes hit the post from a penalty, and the sides were level on six occasions, before Conor McManus, with his fourth point, sent the Farney men in with a 0-08 to 0-07 interval lead.

Dermot Malone’s 42nd-minute goal gave them a five-point advantage, and late scores from Niall Morgan and Connor McAliskey were not enough to keep Tyrone out of the qualifiers.

Monaghan will meet Armagh in the semi-final.

In front of a crowd of 20,268, Kieran Hughes came close to capitalising on a poor Morgan clearance when he shot just wide with the goal at his mercy after just three minutes.

It was point for point throughout the opening 20 minutes, with the sides level on five occasions.

Tyrone centre-back Mattie Donnelly found the space to drive forward through the middle for a point, chiefly due to Kieran Duffy’s deployment as a sweeper.

That score kept Tyrone in front, after Ciaran McGinley and Darren McCurry had slotted early points, with Hughes, defender Fintan Kelly on target for the Farney men.

And skipper Conor McManus, a major injury doubt and a surprise starter, slotted over a couple of frees for the Ulster champions.

Monaghan were awarded a penalty in the 24th minute for Ronan McNabb’s foul on Dessie Mone, but Hughes drilled his kick against a post, having sent ‘keeper Morgan the wrong way.

They had a second goal chance when Hughes sent Chris McGuinness clear, but he shot hurriedly wide.

McManus gave Monaghan the lead for the first time in the 27th minute, and his fourth sent them in with a one-point lead, after Donnelly had levelled for the sixth time.

Darren Hughes sent Dermot Malone in for a Monaghan goal seven minutes into the second half as the provincial champions opened out a five-point lead, the Castleblaney man finishing low just inside a post, past the despairing reach of Morgan and Justin McMahon.

But the Red Hands dug in, inspired by Donnelly’s third score, which was followed up by a Morgan ’45 and a splendid effort from the elusive McCurry.

But Monaghan, with defenders Colin Walshe, Dessie Mone and Drew Wylie meeting the challenge head-on, frustrated a Tyrone attack that lost top scorer McCurry to a black card.

McManus steered over another couple of frees, and heading into the final eight minutes, the provincial title-holders led by four.

Sean Cavanagh led the way for Tyrone as Morgan, and substitute Connor McAliskey hit late points, but Monaghan held on in a cliffhanger, despite losing Dermot Malone and Darren Hughes to black cards.

For Tyrone, it’s a home tie against Louth in the Qualifiers in two weeks’ time, while Monaghan march on to meet Armagh in the Ulster semi-finalon 28 June.

Monaghan: R Beggan (0-2, 1f, 1 ’45), C Walshe, D Wylie, F Kelly (0-2), D Mone, V Corey, K Duffy, D Clerkin, D Hughes, R Wylie, C McGuinness, P McKenna, D Malone (1-0), K Hughes (0-2), C McManus (0-6, 6f).

Subs: P Donaghy for McKenna, C Boyle for Duffy, S Gollogly for McGuinness, K O’Connell for Boyle, D Clerkin for Malone (BC), J McCarron for D Hughes (BC)

Tyrone: N Morgan (0-2, 1f, 1 ’45), A McCrory, J McMahon, R McNamee, R McNabb, M Donnelly (0-3), P Harte, C Cavanagh, C Grugan, M Penrose, S Cavanagh (0-2), C McGinley (0-1), D McCurry (0-4, 2f), S O’Neill, R O’Neill.

Subs: C Gormley for McNabb, K Coney for Grugan, C McAliskey (0-2, 1f) for R O’Neill, Mark Donnelly for McGinley, PJ Lavery for McCurry (BC)

Referee: E Kinsella (Laois).

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use